10% of Americans have 10 or more alcoholic drinks every day

1 Like

But the implication is that ā€“ despite the ā€œdrink responsiblyā€ disclaimers in booze ads ā€“ the alcohol industry is only profitable because its best customers are drinking dangerous, life- and family-destroying quantities of booze.

Perhaps I should RTFA, because I suspect Iā€™m misreading something here. Or maybe Iā€™m not and this is meant as an indictment of the entire alcohol industry. And maybe Iā€™m questioning that because Iā€™m a drink snob, but I donā€™t think that, say, microbreweries are profitable because of a small number of people who consume destructive amounts of alcohol. How many people are downing ten or more nicely crafted IPAs every day? The same is true for high-end spirits. On the other hand itā€™s believable to me that, say, producers of cheap gin depend more on heavy drinkers than on those who like the occasional martini.

I realize alcoholism is a disease, and Iā€™m not saying that cheap liquor and beer are a cause, or even a contributing factor. Iā€™m sure there are alcoholics who can afford the good stuff, even if theyā€™re more interested in quantity than quality. But I also think criticism of alcohol producers should be more nuanced.

1 Like

I have a really hard time believing this. If it was true, then a big portion of the people they reached over the phone were totally shitfaced ā€“ and can you really believe them at that point?

I had a friend who was making a nice salary but he was slamming down the cheap vodka in plastic jugs (and lots of beer). I was never tempted by the vodka because it smelled like benzene and acetone. Heā€™s deadā€¦

1 Like

I lost all confidence in research I see in the news back when I was in grad school, when I realized that most of this research was done by other grad students like my friends and me. We certainly didnā€™t know what we were doing.

Slice up some (candied) ginger and let it infuse for a week or so.

1 Like

Not to mention the people that did not answer the phone because they were passed out.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been some years now, so Iā€™m not 100% reliable at this point; but I remember it being interesting. I think it also helped provide some context for the intensity and relative popularity of the ā€˜temperanceā€™ enthusiasts of various flavors.

Itā€™s hard not to think of them as a slightly more comical version of drug warriors, in all their hyperbole and cynical self-interest, unless you have a sense of just how serious we were about getting unbelievably shitfaced more or less all the time.

1 Like

Or you know, 15% who find it tastes like burning, 10% who find it boring, and 5% who are successfully-recovering alcoholics.

2 Likes

I suspect the statistics are getting skewed by the top 1% of people who consume 97 drinks per day.

1 Like

Me, I find it hard to believe that some 60% of American adults have fewer than one drink a week.

1 Like

Di you know how much a week of bottle service costs?

And a couple percent where the meth or heroin has eliminated the need for booze.

Arnā€™t you forgetting something?
RELIGION.

A man, a plan, a binge, what was I talkinā€™ 'bout? ā€¦hic

a couple of fluid pounds?

Do people from religions which condemn drinking alcohol drink less alcohol? or more alcohol? or about the same amount?

I described Boyhood to my father, a lifelong film enthusiast, the last time I saw him. He was lucid enough to appreciate the balls required to take on a project like that.

Iā€™d like my mother to see it, but sheā€™d find the drunken-second-husband parts really hard to take. She stuck around until my father sobered up, but still, lots of trigger material in that film.

Bill Welbrock was quite explicitly an alcoholic and really frightening, but Jim had similar problems.