10% of Americans have 10 or more alcoholic drinks every day

I think 10% of American just drink when they get home and have wine, beer or cocktails until they go to bed (or pass out). No one is counting here. They just drink casually until they go to bed. It’s nothing subversive. Just that’s what a lot of people do. Come home from work - drink. Not shots - just drinks. It’s not as bad as it sounds. Here - enjoy a video about the Swine flu:

Unfortunately for us, that stereotype of a drunk made it very hard for our family to cope with the very quiet, never causing trouble, intellectual, and deeply repressed person that is my father. On the other hand, the final scene with him at the dinner table had a very strong ring of truth to it to me, not so much for the stepfather’s behavior, but how the family was trying so hard to pretend that all was normal in the middle of it. I really had a hard time with the stepchildren of that marriage never reappearing again in the movie, and watching it with my own daughter whose dad just divorced a woman with kids her age that had become good friends of hers, I know that was hard for her to see too.

I don’t have much of an inclination toward drinking. I rarely think to drink, and generally will do it on the weekends. I don’t sleep well when I drink, so it’s not all that fun to me. I probably get drunk 4, 5 times a year and have one or two beers maybe 25 times a year. Otherwise, most days I don’t drink at all. I find it kind of weird that so many people do like to drink a beer or two everyday.

Beer belongs in cans. Citation: Am American.

1 Like

Amateur American?

My guess is about 30% of them drink less alcohol, 60% drink about the same, and 10% drink a lot more.

He’s only American in the morning.

5 Likes

Wait, no. What the linked article says is that Americans seem to buy (and, just a wild guess here, eventually drink) twice as much alcohol as they say they consume. Big difference.

(…)we find that Cook corrected these data for under-reporting by multiplying the number of drinks each respondent claimed they had drunk by 1.97 in order to comport with the previous year’s sales data for alcohol in the US. Why? It turns out that alcohol sales in the US in 2000 were double what NESARC’s respondents—a nationally representative sample, remember—claimed to have drunk.

Though I question that methodology. There isn’t a reason to think that the extra alcohol was distributed in the same way as the reported alcohol. I imagine that some of those 30% who said they didn’t drink actually did drink sometimes, that some of the people who said they just have a drink every few weeks actually have a drink every week. If people bought twice as much as they say they drank, that doesn’t mean everyone underreported by the same ratio, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the real numbers didn’t look a little less extreme.

2 Likes

D’oh, I guess.

Seriously though my GF used to drink a bottle of wine for breakfast. We know plenty of friends of Bill. Some make it, some don’t. Some live and some die.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.