10 reported killed in Oregon college shooting

If there was mandatory initial and continued education and training, insurance, and Safety Checks I would have a lot of sympathy. But firearms should be regulated closer to flying craft, not (in reverse order) driving, alcohol, fishing, or gathering chantrelle mushrooms.

With that said, I need to work on my trebuchet.

(Eta if I ever see people hauling old TVs into the woods and using them as target practice again I may lose it)

6 Likes

I owned some beautiful Finnish rifles of my grandfather’s. Sold them not too long after marrying a wonderful woman who was stalked and threatened by a rifle-wielding guy she went on one single date with when she was younger.

1 Like

NYT has a similar piece today, focusing on where some of these purchases slipped through the intended safeguards.

2 Likes
4 Likes

16 Likes

The reason people like me say that is people keep making apples and oranges analogies to things like driving a car. Cars actually have a multitude of purposes and are not the end point of weapons evolution. Cars also requiring training and licensing in order for someone to be allowed to operate them. If you become dangerous in your car (like my grandfather), they take your license away.

Basically, you can’t compare guns to other objects/tools that we may or may not regulate because any non-destructive use of guns is either in support of training for their destructive use or a marginal activity compared to the actual purpose of a firearm. The rhetoric in gun magazines and sites isn’t majority “This is the best way to be accurate in shooting a paper target for fun.” It is the rhetoric of safety and home defense. My dad and my stepdad both kept guns next to their beds for reasons other than getting up in the night to shoot targets on the back 40.

6 Likes

Oh come now. The reason the difficulties with abortion exist is because there are a load of influential right wing religious nutters behind it all.

Guns is different. It’s like, a liberal thing, right? Freedom, 'n all? That’s not the same bunch of people, so it could never happen.

“Intended safeguards” spit take lol

1 Like

2 Likes

6 Likes

3 Likes

Use those people for target practice. With your trebuchet.

3 Likes

Is it…good? That they’re acknowledging it’s basically overcompensation? Or does it just mean all jokes about that are now redundant? /conflicted

When I’m watching my TV
And that man comes on to tell me
How good my shots could be
Well he can’t be a man cause he doesn’t shoot
The same rifle as me
I can’t get no
oh no no no

3 Likes

I saw this in today’s Oregonian.

More police, some in camouflage and tactical gear, swarmed campus, going building by building and room by room. As classes were cleared, officers and deputies marched students and teachers out in single-file lines, hands up. School buses arrived to ferry survivors to the Douglas County Fairgrounds. Police patted down survivors and confiscated cell phones – steps to both preserve the crime scene and protect against a possible second attack.

It was the confiscating of the cell phones that made me go, WTF.

2 Likes

I also saw this.

John Parker, a 36-year-old Army veteran studying to become a drug and alcohol counselor, is among the UCC students who hold weapons permits and bring guns to campus. He had his gun and his license with him on campus Thursday when the shooting took place.

He was in the college’s veterans center, just a few buildings away from Synder Hall, with some other students who were similarly permitted and armed, he told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

A college employee talked them out of leaving to try to use their guns to save others. The active shooter could have taken them down first. Law enforcement officers already on the scene would not have known their guns would be used to defend students and instructors, not hurt them, he said.

“If we would have run across the field, we would have been targets,” he said. “We made a good choice at the time.”

#Well duh

Do you want to turn RL into super smash brothers?

2 Likes

Well, it certainly seems relevant to the debate about whether armed civilians could ever be helpful in such a situation. If they’re just going to hide and cower like everybody else, what’s the point of packing at school exactly?

3 Likes

It is relevant. Quite relevant. But a concealed carrier that suddenly realized that their involvement would escalate the issue and feels good about acknowledging that…?

To be clear I not arguing with you. I am raging against the ‘good guy with a gun’ meme.

Know what would be even more effective than a gun? A radio or walkie talkie.

4 Likes