"100 Best Songs of 1982," the year when today's pop music was born

Originally published at: "100 Best Songs of 1982," the year when today's pop music was born | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Very happy to see Mecano on this list. ¡Buenos recuerdos!

2 Likes

Tell me how old you are without telling me how old you are.

(He was 16 in 1982)

6 Likes

It’s a good selection, brought back some memories, not all good.

3 Likes

I was born in '82, so in a way I’m today’s pop music.

11 Likes

Not bad.

3 Likes

21 Likes

Basically my prime high school years and many songs I used to listen to. Some really deep cuts here, too, not just the usual “best of the year” blather. Love this.

6 Likes

1982 was the year I started coding. In COBOL and Assembler. I miss the music and my Walkman!

8 Likes

1982 was a fun year, but yeah, your analysis is spot-on.

2 Likes

Looking at my collection I can only add the Circle Jerks “Wild in the Streets”, that is still a stone cold punk classic, and Deja Voodoo “Monsters in my Garage” that kind of kickstarted Canadian Indie weirdness.

2 Likes

COBOL and Assembler, man, that takes me back. I was just discovering Apple BASIC in 1982, I admit. Music-wise I had just made friends with a classmate who was into Tangerine Dream and was hooked on Rubycon and a show on public radio called “The Untuning Of the Sky”. Never really looked back.

2 Likes

1982 was my senior year and I’ll admit I was stoned out of my gourd from ‘80 through the summer of’ 86 but half the groups on that list… who?

I mean Rolling Stone top 100 from 1982 I should know more.

Of the ones I did know some of the songs I recognized some I didn’t.

Of course if it wasn’t played on Detroit radio it didn’t exist.

1 Like

Nice to have a brief moment where fellow Gen Xers get to set year when pop music was defined. The window will close all too quickly but I’ll enjoy the teenage memories while I can.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.