100% relatable: SNL parodies Macy's kids' holiday clothing ads perfectly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/16/100-relatable-snl-parodies-m.html

7 Likes

I began watching SNL on Sunday on HULU+ several months ago. If a sketch sucks, I can fast forward through it in seconds. I really, really hate game show skits. I frequently do this fast-forward for musical guests. I have watched an entire episode of SNL in as little as five minutes!

3 Likes

We laughed out butts off at this Macy’s ad. It’s just so true.

7 Likes

snl-black-jeopary-say-what-now

9 Likes

—> 2 daughters.

Holy f’ing hell. This hits all the buttons. Every. Friggin. One.

9 Likes

1 Like

The last skit is always the worst, guaranteed.

The “commercials” are generally good, and often the pre-recorded skits or songs tend to be good, IMHO.

Anyway…memories of my parents trying to make me wear saddle shoes in the late 60s. :men_wrestling:

9 Likes

I can so remember the first time I saw Saturday Night Live:
“The wolverines…”
“De volvorines…”
“Are eating…”
“Aah eatin’…”
“My fingertips…”

That, my friends, was the first cold open. It was glorious back then. And of course, it hit rock bottom around the time of Chris Farley and David Spade, but at least there was MadTV. Now it is again 'must see TV".

2 Likes

Bah, geoblocked again.

AU MUTHAF*****’ CONTRAIRE!!!

4 Likes

might as well…

6 Likes

So much of live comedy depends on audience reaction. It’s like watching a stand-up set that the comic is trying out for the first time. Sometimes it will be hilarious, sometimes it will be tedious—but in SNL, they’re committed to see it through either way.

There are SNL skits that probably seemed hilarious on paper and fell flat on TV, and a surprising number of skits that seem incredibly dumb on paper but somehow still manage to bring the guffaws.

2 Likes

Like Tom Hanks’ greatest character ever?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/bobby-moynihan-how-tom-hanks-snl-david-s-pumpkins-sketch-came-be-1041870

6 Likes

I think this is why the pre-recorded ones work best. They have time to review before airing them.

1 Like

I especially love the little gems…

6 Likes

Is this a parody of a video I’m too old to have seen? Seems too visually distinctive for a random skit.

Only a couple of weeks ago…

Yeah, but when SNL does a music video, they often copy someone’s stylistic quirks.

e.g

Childhood favourite.

2 Likes

I think “music video” denotes pre-recorded, not live. Like Lonely Island’s Dxxk in a Box.

2 Likes