MADtv's violent Rankin/Bass Christmas spoofs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/22/madtvs-violent-rankin-bass-c.html

4 Likes

My wife built a bunch of these stop motion characters for the series It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia when they riffed on Rudolph - and again for a Destiny’s Child music video - and another thing with a Heat Miser or something. I don’t know. She works a lot. I don’t. Anyway - Rudolph.

7 Likes

6 Likes

A website that specialized in cartoons put up a bunch of Christmas special spoofs. One of them was a spoof on the Charlie Brown Christmas special. The highlight was Linus’ speech, except in this version, he attacks Charlie Brown for have such a pathetic Christmas tree, riffs on there being no God & ends by saying Hail Satan. The special ends with the Peanuts gang tying Charlie Brown to a tree & setting him on fire(!!!)

Raging Rudolph kills me. The ‘We’ll Get Even’ song always gets stuck in my head for a day.

1 Like

The original seasons of MADtv were pretty amazing.

4 Likes

Especially in comparison to SNL at the time, and even now SNL still should not be 90 minutes long. It runs out of comedy after half an hour.

2 Likes

I like the Leon Redbone Santa from Elf. I never would have known who he was except he was on SNL and when I was a kid they were often obscure. It was weird to actually recognize the musical guest on SNL.

2 Likes

The animator, Corky Quakenbush, is also a fairly well-known aikido practitioner and teacher: https://youtu.be/nbYxL8R-770

These videos are not representative of his attitude in martial arts practice.

Phil LaMarr (can’t find video of skit) was hilarious in the “New Guy at Construction Yard” scene. Typical new guy.

Back in the day when the skits were thought full.

3 Likes

Heat Miser and Cold Miser were from a different Christmas special from the same company: The Year Without a Santa Claus.

2 Likes

Pretty good editing. Somebody thought things out!

1 Like

SNL sketches run out of comedy after 60 seconds but continue to drone on for another few minutes until they’re mercifully terminated by a commercial. This cycle repeats for 90 minutes.

2 Likes

“What’s the difference between life and a SNL sketch?”

“Life doesn’t go on forever.”

(I think I’ve read that in Eric Idle’s book about his Greedy Bastard Tour, but I can’t check it right now.)

3 Likes

There’s this, but that’s not quite so extreme.

3 Likes

Phil LaMarr had so many great characters. The UPS Guy was a perennial favorite in my home.

4 Likes

Oooh these are the best!

The Reinfather is my fave.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.