1000 aluminum cans transformed into a beautiful electric guitar

Originally published at: 1000 aluminum cans transformed into a beautiful electric guitar | Boing Boing

4 Likes

There’s clearly no can deposit system wherever it is he lives. In Germany the raw material alone would be worth 250€ in deposit refunds.

8 Likes

150€ in Finland.

5 Likes

Now that’s metal!

Also, he should make another and look into anodizing methods to decorate.

2 Likes

Were these Aluminium Cans or Aluminum Cans?

6 Likes

I was thinking while listening to it that it did sound different from a wood-bodied guitar.

Then the next vide was of one he made from 500 sheets of newspaper. Compare the sound of this one to the sound of that one.

Pickups, amp, speakers may all have been different, but the metal one, while sounding great, sounded different to the paper one - which had rather more ‘warmth’.

NB I just finished reading ‘The Birth of Loud’ by Ian S Port and it is an utterly compelling read. All about the history and impact of the electric guitar, with great detail about how Leo Fender and Les Paul (and others) invented and developed the electric guitar (and the rivalry between them). Brilliantly researched and written it is a ‘must read’ for anyone who ever held a guitar.

4 Likes

I’ll need a lot of convincing that the body material of an electric solid-body has any discernible influence on the tone of a guitar. Pickups/electronics/strings/configuration/technique will have so much more impact than body material.

I will check out that book now. Sounds fascinating!

Read the book and I suspect you’ll come away understanding that, for guitarists, the body can make a real difference.

Based on the accent and what looked like American-market labelling on everything in the video that had a label get close enough, long enough, to the camera to tell; I’m guessing that it’s Aluminum, as god and Charles Martin Hall intended.

1 Like

Well, I’ve been playing for about 40 years, so I’ll keep my own opinion. But I’ll still read the book.

1 Like

I does have some influence on tone-- softer wood bodies have less sustain, dense materials will have more sustain. But I agree the electronics do most of the work.

Aluminum necks and bodies were briefly “a thing” in the 70’s-- Jerry Garcia played an aluminum Travis Bean guitar for a brief period (he thought it had a sharp/edgy tone that he tired of), and Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad played one (a Musicraft Messenger) for years. There is also the
“feel” issue-- I think one of the reasons guitar players end up hoarding instruments is that they feel different in your hands, and it makes you want to play differently.

2 Likes

How much is the sound influenced by guitarist’s body composition?

2 Likes

Good question. I have noticed Leslie West of Mountain has a thicker tone than Steve Albini of Shellac, so you may be onto something.

1 Like

Now in Lego

Hey, don’t try to minimize Aluminium!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.