11-foot-8 bridge strikes again

I still stand by my opinion which is lodged squarely in the bottom right square. My solution is add a big tv screen that shows a video of the driver’s face as they careen towards the bridge and says “You, yes you, are too tall.”

8 Likes

RthwdO0

13 Likes

14 Likes

Isn’t it now the 12 foot 4 bridge? (I seem to recall some enheightening activity and the signs do seem to say 12’4" now.)

4 Likes

Jurgen calls it the “11-foot-8-plus-8 bridge” now.

8 Likes

Ah, I misinterpreted what I was seeing. I thought what I was seeing there is the tubes for the lighting but that they weren’t “on,” like seeing a non-lit neon light. Apologies, @wazroth.

4 Likes

Technically didn’t run the red light. The entire truck was in the intersection on the video frame before the red light.

Should the driver have stopped on yellow? Probably. Stopping on yellow is encouraged when it’s safe to do so (e.g., when you’re not being followed closely.)

Were they speeding? Possibly.

Did they enter the intersection before it was safe to do so? Yep. Since the truck was too tall for the clearance there was never a safe time to enter the intersection, except to make a left turn.

Has anyone checked the frequency of crashes since lifting the bridge 8 inches? Has it made a difference?

3 Likes

Driver cared more to beat the light than worry what was waiting for him on the other side of the intersection. Limited brain function.

3 Likes

I wonder how many cats come running when they hear these cans being opened?

13 Likes

They need to change the nickname from ‘the Can Opener’ to the ‘Groundhog’s Day Special’; as much as this keeps happening.

10 Likes

It has made a difference to the frequency of crashes uploaded and the severity. A non-scientific metric.

There have been a few more recently. Most seem to be partial rather than the nice peel in this one. I do wonder if it has settled a few millimeters since it was raised.

6 Likes

Probably thought the top was just being scraped rather than removed.

3 Likes

That many accidents and I say it’s the bridge. Stop blaming drivers for poor civil engineering.

1 Like

5 Likes

That company (North Carolina Railroad) whose civil engineers designed the bridge in the 1920s and completed it in 1940 took its sweet time in trying address the issue.

11 Likes

@wazroth, what bingo square is this? “The City is irresponsible for not doing anything” doesn’t work with Ayn-caps who believe that the city shouldn’t be doing anything.

11 Likes

It’s a tough one, especially since in their anti-government zeal Libertarians tend to be ignorant of certain facts (e.g. that this bridge was constructed by a private company decades ago, and that civil engineers don’t work exclusively for the bad ol’ state.)

9 Likes

Ok, I got a new one (maybe): Bridge Airbag!

Or: A cardboard cutout pops up.

4 Likes

So are you saying they should lower it to 8” off the ground so that no driver can miss the bridge, or raise it to 80’ so that it’s no longer a danger to trucks but becomes a danger to aircraft?

9 Likes