11-foot-8 bridge strikes again

A similar thing happens quite frequently to a train bridge in the Cincinnati suburb of Madisonville. It even has its own Instagram account.

1 Like

4 Likes

Logistics, ladies and gentlemen!

1 Like

It would have just been a collision instead of a really satisfying peel. I think that’s a worthwhile difference.

1 Like

My contribution to the discussion. The funniest part here is that they actually made it through the 2.2m underpass (probably scraping the hell out of the top of the van), and then got stuck on the barrier on the other side (one side was just had signs, the other had the metal barrier, since this was the main way in and out of that area). I think the driver’s face says it all.

8 Likes

Actually, level crossings are more dangerous.

(I’m not sure what that means)
Did we win?

2 Likes

If “Libertarians and Objectivists failed to think their philosophy through” were a bingo square, it would have to replace the free space.

12 Likes

Like I’ve said before, I cannot understand how someone could accelerate into a bridge that low. The one time I drove a box truck under a lower bridge, I hesitated, even though I knew it was over a foot higher than the truck, because from where I was sitting, it looked like I was gonna slam into it.

3 Likes

12’4” is hardly a record; is this bridge unusually hungry, or does it just have a better social media game?

2 Likes
  1. It was 11 foot 8 inches until recently

2. It has great social media presence because of a person who works next to it and has cameras pointing at it, and it is he who updates the YouTube channel

3. There is a Penske truck rental company close by that provides plenty of fodder.

9 Likes

Oh wow, how have I seen so many of these conversations and not known that?!

4 Likes

Based on how nicely a thin layer was shaved off it, was that an 11-foot-8-plus-9 truck?

6 Likes

My understanding is – based on the FAQ on the 11-foot-8 website – there’s at least a couple extra inches of clearance for good measure, or at least there was when it was 11’ 8". It’s unclear whether the same extra clearance exists now, but the claim was made that the bridge was made 8 inches taller, and the official clearance got 8 inches taller, so it probably has a similar extra clearance as it did before.

All this is to say that it was probably an 11-foot-8-plus-11 truck.

5 Likes

There’s also a confluence of factors regarding its location relative to downtown and to highway onramps, the role of this particular road in central Durham traffic and commerce, etc., that make this bridge’s appetite particularly large.

5 Likes

Regardless of your fine bingo cards, I still think they should install some cop light bars along the sides beneath the bridge. When the sensors detect the too-tall idiot approaching from over a block away, spin up the red and blue flashing lights.

Nothing chills out a speeding driver who is planning to run a red light quite like the sudden appearance of a cop.

6 Likes

That was a clean peel all right.

We have quite a few rail bridges in Brisbane that have claimed trucks. One of the ‘better’ ones really did a number a few weeks ago. 3.6m clearance, so 11’10". Warning lights etc. The night footage (no longer online) had a huge shower of sparks. The day shot shows the damage.

Sounds like a similar problem - clearly signed, and not really possible to change the clearance.

7 Likes

Honestly… there is a solution:

https://www.laservision.com.au/portfolio/softstop/

I enjoy the drama… but still.

3 Likes

Sure to cause plenty of accidents in a congested, downtown area.

Thank you for your contribution to the Bingo card.

6 Likes

9 Likes

You’re welcome.