11-foot-8 bridge strikes again

That almost looked like a prank. The way the side edging opened up before the crumpling started looked like it was built to do that.

@wazroth and I are very familiar with the area. Add more lights to that intersection when there’s an overheight vehicle and you’re rivaling a carnival midway.

The next step in escalation is to actually have decent driver training in the USA. Good luck with that.

6 Likes

Much like the Panama Canal, the bridge designers of the time had no way of knowing how tall trucks would grow. It was plenty tall enough by 1920/1940 standards. The height standards changed in 1973. And you know damned well that government will never mandate a private corporation does ANYTHING that costs them money and benefits the public (contrary to what some people seem to think, the bridge is owned by the railroad company, not the town).

6 Likes

I’d score that one a perfect 11.

3 Likes

This guy would have no issues.
24a390678fbb77bf2b03febb377f6dcb_width-600

11 Likes

Why do the caution signs o either side say 12’-4". Is the site a misnomer?

1 Like

More background:

4 Likes

I wonder the same.
“Over height must turn” signage is always on, it seems.
Is there a height detection system that is not sensitive enough?
On other video, we can see it blinking in bright white.

1 Like

The sign only lights up when a vehicle threatening the clearance height is approaching, thanks to the (sigh)
which is apparently rather accurate: back in the 11’8" days, the city buses with a DOT clearance of 11’6", which regularly pass under the bridge, never triggered the sensor, as far as I’m aware. Thanks to the extra couple inches of clearance above the nominal, the sensor (this is a complete guess) is probably set to the exact nominal clearance height.

The 11-foot-8 channel has yet to publish any videos of vehicles just squeaking through without damage, though they have shown vehicles passing under with just a few sparks, and those vehicles triggered the sensor. Of course, what shows up on the channel displays a certain sort of survivorship bias (which is kind of a misnomer in this case, isn’t it?).

6 Likes

It was

2 Likes

He had too much air in his tires is all.

2 Likes

It’s a shame there’s no cameras on the other side of the bridge, it would be fun to see the faces, or at least body language, of the drivers when they get out and inspect the damage.
Mind you, this truck didn’t look like it was immediately slowing. I wonder if they assumed it was just a scrape (due to the bangin’ Britney) and drove all the way to their destination before finding out.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.