11-year-old skateboarder lands first 1080 on a vertical ramp

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/11/11-year-old-skateboarder-lands.html

7 Likes

i don’t know what the kid actually did, those moves all look the same to these old eyes. but good for him. pretty cool to be that good at anything besides eating cereal and watching cartoons at age 11. speaking as a past master of those particular skills.

8 Likes

Same here - pay attention to the number of times he is facing the camera - 0° - 360° - 720° - 1080°

5 Likes

Past master. Sure thing. :wink:

… journey to his grandmother’s house on most days to deliver food and drop him off so that he can train on the vertical ramp, bowl and street course they had built in her back garden. It was on that ramp that he completed the historic feat.

Seriously? They built him that in her back-garden? Must be nice to grow up like that.

3 Likes

I have a feeling there is a lot of that going on, i.e. people conflating “it’s OK to travel to deliver food to the vulnerable” with “go ahead and visit your 55-year-old parents as much as you like”. I gather my sister has been visiting my parents multiple times a week (with her 800 kids) throughout the lockdown.

I know there is concern about older people being isolated, but it kind of grates how everyone is ignoring the fact that almost the entire point is to isolate older people from chains of contact, and if this sort of thing is widespread, that is likely more harmful than (say) twentysomethings going to parties, or other things people are getting shamed for.

2 Likes

0:

360:

720:

1080:

2 Likes

First off, this kid has some crazy skill.

Secondly, I have a kiddo around the same age who is starting to show serious depression issues. I didn’t know how to dad in the first place (thought I was doing pretty well back in Dec.), and now this BS. We’re working through it as much as we can.

Thirdly, this kid has some crazy skill.

7 Likes

Three full 360º spins in mid-air. That’s amazing.

(Didn’t realize this thread was here, and posted a YouTube link to the proof plus an article that gives more info in the covid isolation activities thread instead.)

2 Likes

hmm - didn’t look clean to me…

:face_with_monocle:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i meant past master of eating cereal and watching cartoons

3 Likes

Well I, for one, have maintained mastery of those skills. It’s like riding a bike. Perhaps you just need some practice?

1 Like

Kids are complex, and go their own way. If you’ve picked up on your kiddo’s concerns and are working on it, I’d say you know exactly how to dad. We are all making this up as we go.

8 Likes

Yeah, by the time we’re expert parents, we’re grandparents.

5 Likes

Got to semi-disagree with you here. He launches right foot forwards, up ramp. Lands right foot back, up ramp. The board does 1080 which is what counts. He faces camera at 0, 360, 720. His body does 900, 2.5 rotations. Since he launches facing up and lands facing down, that’s an odd number of 180s. Had to watch slomo a dozen times to wrap my head around this. Awesome!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.