12 recipes that will let you eat well for the rest of your life

[Read the post]

If you want toast even thinner, after you toast it, slice it, uh, through the middle so you have two toasted sides and the untoasted middle exposed. Then toast the middle.

Yes it is a pain, but you can make it wafer thin if you have a good knife.

Or, enjoy really thick toast made from say brioche. (Not my picture)

7 Likes

The Amazon reviews look like about 1/4 of the recipes are about meat, but the rest of the book may be useful. One of my favorite cookbooks years ago was ā€œTassajara Cookingā€, which is partly about technique and partly about tasting and experiencing what youā€™re doing, which was really a lot more useful than recipes, but the Moosewood Cookbook was really good for getting an idea of the variety of things you can make and what an interesting meal might be like. These days I mainly use Google (: -) if I need specific recipes, like proportions of flour and fat in a pie crust or whatever.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had that one since the early nineties. Same author as moosewood.

6 Likes

Fun fact: those ā€˜grandsā€™ biscuits make excellent super-cheap pizza crusts.

yeah I saw what you did: > kids peppered throughout

spicy kids, themā€™s good eating.

Alice Waters? Iā€™d rather starve.

Looks like over priced shit on a shingle.

WARNING: Iā€™ve been drinkā€™n, again.

2 Likes

:smile:

Both cost like a nickel to make.

1 Like

I have that Tassajara book, itā€™s splattered and dog-eared and full of pencil marks where I scaled up, down, or substituted successfully (and probably out of desperation). I love Ed Brown. Such a mensch.

A few cookbooksI use at least as much, and thanks @japhroaig for the Mollie Katzen mention (sheā€™s got a nice ā€œmore Moosewoodā€ second cookbook out):

(not quite macrobiotic, still has some nice nonobvious entrees, and a few surprisingly good-tasting cookies that are good for youā€“Colbinā€™s hack for a robust nonwheat pie crust is why I bought it in the first place, and my pecan pies are the better for it)

(I suppose I am an unapologetic unreconstructed hippy, itā€™s a nice foil to the Moosewood cookbooks, and has a doubleplus good soup section)

(best tomato soup with ginger and cilantro I have ever eaten; sub coconut milk for all or part of the water in that recipe and itā€™s even better, assuming that you love full-fat coconut milk)

For years I had wanted to get Deborah Madisonā€™s The Greens Cookbook

(refers to the restaurant in San Francisco, not merely to green vegetables) and may yet grab it in my dotageā€¦ a lot of her recipes in that book sound tasty, but the long prep times are nonideal in my current life situation.

I love Madhur Jaffreyā€™s cookbooks (sheā€™s got a new one outā€¦ droolā€¦) and I own her A Taste of India which I have used often and well. The regional anecdotes and personal stories in it alone would be worth its price (and its precious shelf-space in my crowded bookcase). I donā€™t use it every day though, and I often cut down the amount of ghee, butter or oils called for in her recipes.

Izzat more than 12 recipes?
:yum:

3 Likes

Dangit, I donā€™t need to buy more books :smile:

The tassajara never inspired me though. I was a rote cook until I read Pepin. And it has been a fun journey since.

Edit

When he said, ā€œmy hands are in every photoā€, I kind of lost my shit.

3 Likes

Kevin Dundon is an Irish chef who has a show on Create TV called Back to Basics. Each episode he explores the basic techniques for a particular group of ingredients (Beef, Chicken, Eggs, Breads, Chocolate, Fish, etc). The entire point is to show basic techniques like making a bechemel or one of the other mother sauces, or how to properly butcher or break down a chicken or whole fish.

The issues with many cook books and shows is they make something, but do not show you the basics on how to make the foundation of something. So you learn A recipe, and cannot deviant from it.

Its better to learn basic foundations, then branch out and explore with food from there, but also so you are modular with your cooking.

The example I use is that when I shop for my family (3 kids)ā€¦I purchase ingredients to be used through out the week for meals, not items for a particular recipe or meal. So I may buy a large pack of chicken that I use for 3-4 meals and get veg and starches that mix and match. We arenā€™t tied to a set menu, just to using those groceries up throughout the week. Make bbq chicken on Sunday. use the left overs to make pulled bbw chicken on monday. make pulled bbq chicken pizza on tuesday. the excess scraps and whatnot made a stock on Sunday, and that leads to chicken risotto on wednesday.

4 Likes

Yes, to all the above. And kudos to you for teaching your kids the right way to do things.
We donā€™t have kids, but my mom taught us well as you are doing. Iā€™m always a bit shocked by people that donā€™t have a ā€œpantryā€ of at least SOME basics and an understanding how easy it is to cook a meal for your family quickly, easily and for not a lot of money if you shop and stock up right.
We donā€™t eat a lot of meat other than fish - this goes out the window this weekend - and we have a whole list of dishes for our go to meals. Iā€™ll take my wifeā€™s curry lentils with jasmine rice and broccoli pretty much any time she wants to make it!

4 Likes

Thus bringing forth the plaintive cry of offspring: ā€˜Iā€™m hungry, but thereā€™s no fffffoooodd, just ingredients!ā€™

1 Like

Deborah Madisonā€™s cookbooks are excellent for any cook, even avid meat-eaters!

This sounds like Delia Smithā€™s How to Cook series.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.