12 year old makes devastating video about anti-vaxxers, gets doxxed

[Read the post]

10 Likes

No surprise.

49 Likes

They must be desperate

2 Likes

He’s Mexican? That didn’t sound like a Mexican accent to me, he almost sounds Italian. We haven’t despised Italians in decades.

Wait, I thought anti-vaxxers were supposed to be granola-eating flower children. They’re racist Trumpeteers? You’re messing with my stereotypes, man.

12 Likes

It isn’t fair. I protest! It’s a battle of wits against and unarmed opponent!

16 Likes

The age-old question: does being the loudest asshole make you right, or does being right make you right? Since the Enlightenment, it looked like the latter had won decisively, but now we have Facebook, and the “I’ll force my views to be correct!” camp has rallied impressively.

If we’re going to move forward and not descend into Trump-supporting cannibalism, we may have to stop indulging people’s right to be deliberately wrong about everything.

12 Likes

Really underscores the tactics used in debate these days. People don’t fight claims based on their merits anymore. They just attack the person. It’s no longer about “what facts do we have that refute these claims?” It’s now “how can we smear this person so people ignore the facts?”

Well maybe those tactics have always been around, but they’re really the go-to option for far too many people these days.

12 Likes

I keep saying it, and it keeps being true: make the internet harder to use again. Or go back in time and kill Zuckerberg. Whatever.

2 Likes

“He’s Mexican? That didn’t sound like a Mexican accent to me, he almost sounds Italian. We haven’t despised Italians in decades.”

We’re pretty assimilated now. But some things don’t change much–I mean, if you take a Trump speech about Mexicans and Muslims, substitute Italians and Jews, and it reads like the same stuff people were saying to close the borders back in the 1920s.

“Wait, I thought anti-vaxxers were supposed to be granola-eating flower children. They’re racist Trumpeteers? You’re messing with my stereotypes, man.”

Stupid doesn’t know ideological boundaries.

16 Likes

33 Likes

Far easier to insult someone then to do research. Keep hitting the emotional lizard brain.

5 Likes

Fucking love this kid. “Screw you guys. Stop being dummies. I’m going to go play with lizards!”

14 Likes

We have found the thing that crosses the political divide and brings both sides together! …Yay?

12 Likes

Sadly, unless laws are changed, freedom of speech also means freedom of ignorance.

That’s the thing that frightens me most about the influence of Trump’s campaign on the larger cultural fabric of the US; solipsistic subjective reality has been legitimated as an unassailable political platform.

4 Likes

I admit here that my first thought is “I wonder how much maple syrup I could really drink before getting sick.”

9 Likes

I love the Internet: a billion monkeys on a billion typewriters!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=maple+syrup+ld50

4 Likes

If I may sidetrack the main discussion for a moment: is there a vast coordinated anti-vaxxer conspiracy or is this just a bunch of mostly independent assholes brought together by the collectivizing power of the internet?

To make the distinction clear, is there covert corporate funding for anti-vax campains? And if so, what might the motive be?

2 Likes

Corporate funding? Probably not. However, I do know of some wealthy individuals who have too much time on their hands. They like to publish “findings” on how you shouldn’t cook your food, you can cure cancer by drinking alkali water, “chemicals” are bad, and vaccines are a corporate plot to make us manageable by giving us brain damage. Of course, they probably own pharmaceutical stocks themselves, but wouldn’t know how to check what their trust fund actually holds even if they cared enough to find out.

7 Likes

“It also generated a lot of butthurt anti-vaxxers…”

Come-on with that phrase.

http://www.liminality.org/archives/283/
“The truth is that “butthurt,” while having its limited uses, has always been about dismissing, trivializing, and belittling someone you don’t agree with. It is supposedly used to describe someone who reacts strongly to some trivial insult or other situation, but who decides how trivial that insult or situation is? The person applying the label, of course. Essentially, what you are doing when you call someone “butthurt” is saying, “I don’t care about seeing things from your point of view. I’m going to impose my worldview on you instead.” In that sense, it is, I suppose, a form of domination.”

FWIW, Trump is an anti-Vaxxer:

(Also, anti-Vaxxers are stereotyped as granola types, but polls show an even split across the political divide)

11 Likes