13 things police have mistaken for guns

Ted Nugent is a nut. I haven’t heard LaPierre say thing racist or crazy. Maybe he has. I’ve never heard him say anything about keeping guns out of the hand of any one other than felons, criminals, and the mentally ill.

I don’t have to like everyone on the Board of Directors. Hell they can eat babies in their spare time. I’m here for the gun rights support. Show me where they are supporting racist gun laws. If they were supporting racist gun laws I’d cut all ties with them today.

Modern Christian conservatives I have met(this is 10 years out of date btw) are of an evangelical bent in both religion and politics. They have no delight even approaching meeting or even better converting a minority to become just like them in every way but of a different hue, this explains why they nearly explode in joy to the idea of Jews for Jesus or a black Republican. It tells them that they are on the right track after all. They(US con-christians) don’t hate the DNA or the skin color they hate the minority culture and the socio-economic class that earlier their predecessors racist wealth transfer to the current winners has landed minorities in.
IMHO(as a passable but non-wasp) if you drop the all African-American Black family into the whitest neighborhood, as long as the males do not ever show any interest in any local white women, and as long as the Blacks live whiter than the whites; collar shirts, SUVs, sensible firearm collection, Christmas sweaters, and all; everything will move along like a sit-com as long as every cop in town is intimately familiar with the appearance and vehicles of all of the Black family.

2 Likes

WTF does that have to do with where or not gun laws are racist and whether or not the NRA supports them?

Only my impression having lived in rural areas where the NRA sticker was a common window accessory. FWIW I don’t think that the average NRA member is knowingly racist.
Veering off topic I think that prohibition never works out well long term for prostitution, drugs, weapons, etc. when there is a demand.
(edit)To be fair I also feel that a great number of guilty white liberals are also very condescendingly racist especially in their ballroom and art auction advocacy for ‘those people’ while literally dripping in privilege.

1 Like

Yes. I can mitigate the risk handsomely by:

• wearing a body armor
  • approaching the situation slowly and from distance, optionally from behind a cover
  • using proper tactics for deescalation of the situation, because in way too many times the situation is not even bad to start with.

So come in slowly enough to get and maintain situational awareness. That itself should be enough to see the difference between a gun and a pizza slice. In case of weapon replicas, watch how the suspect handles it. A replica is much lighter-weight than the real deal, and that should be visible rather easily. If even then you are not certain, do a behavioral analysis of the suspect - or, what he is doing with the thing. Taking cover when you don’t need to is okay. Shooting when you don’t need to is not.

In many cases the killer cops aren’t inherently bad, but are psyched to feel threatened all the time and then panic. In a way they become victims too, luckier than the other victim by the factor of coming out alive.

The current system, from police militarization to training focused on weapons and combat instead of on the human side of the interactions, is setting even the otherwise good people up for failure in a critical situation.

10 Likes

@shaddack
This!
This!
This!
This!
This!
I can’t give you enough likes, this is exactly what we learned in fire/EMS.
Even a degraded situation such as a siege is a great chance for everyone to calm down, talk, and live, not a massive failure in weapons and tactics.
(edit) Can we just have nice unarmed cops like in the UK yet?

3 Likes

They aren’t entirely unarmed. The UK (and NZ) police don’t openly carry sidearms, but some officers do have access to a gun safe in the back of their squad cars which can be opened with authorisation.

The lack of easy access to a penis substitute does seem to make the UK and NZ police a lot pleasanter to deal with though … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And probably attracts a different kind of job applicant.

6 Likes

Although I personally would not mind living in a society where only the police were unarmed, that’s not what I’m advocating.

Agreed, but what I’m advocating is that everyone should have proper training, and not just gun owners. We already spend tax dollars to teach children to read and write and drive and calculate and practice basic hygiene. We should be teaching them use of weapons and other tools as well. I’m certain that having real experience with and understanding of weapons makes you less likely to be shot dead by a cop, even when you’re unarmed.

It is in the best interests of our society that we should demystify and desanctify firearms, so that we aren’t forever stuck in these unwinnable, emotion-fueled arguments. Knowledge is not power, but it holds the potential for the best use of power. Ignorance is not a goal we should continue to actively pursue. We should instead use the power of the state to educate our children, for their own benefit, and for the benefit of humanity.

Sorry about the preachiness of the above. I kind of got on a roll…

2 Likes

I agree the where firearms are legal then firearms primer and unarmed self defense training, also auto repair and tire changing, basic fire fighting/extinguishing, first aid, basic budget cooking, finding an apartment, sewing a button and other important stuff we might call a life hack. In both mine and my wife’s case I wish there had been competent college choice counselling.

“A human being should be able to
change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a
building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone,
comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve
equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” Heinlein

(yea he was also kinda a creepy bastard)

2 Likes

I’m not really sure how I feel about that, TBH… I’ll have to mull it over a bit. I do agree that it would indeed demystify firearms, and not make them some sort of magic thing that they wouldn’t understand the real implications of…

No worries! :wink:

1 Like

Please don’t be under the misapprehension that the UK police who are actually entrusted with guns are superior in every way to the US variety though — you can also add a table leg and a (slight, but apparently still) suspicious tan to the list as their contribution …

3 Likes

Hey, we can. We can do all of that. It’s just that many of us will suck at much of it. He should have added “and know when to call a professional.” to the end of that, tho I guess it is covered under “take orders, give orders, cooperate”

1 Like

Black men open-carrying is basically a death sentence.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.