13 years after Katrina, New Orleans plans to evacuate if bad storms come

1 Like

My father heeded the evacuation warning for Katrina. Lost his house and whatever stuff he couldn’t bring with him but he survived. Unfortunately others did not.

2 Likes

Eh, except the government has a record of bailing out areas who suffered an environmental tragedy. They keep building shit too close to the ocean and hurricanes take them out and they keep giving them money to rebuilt. Large tornadoes, flooding, earthquakes, etc, all have been assisted with government funds. Though some of those are state funds too.

Yes New Orleans has been ignored some. They have made some progress in areas, and stalled in others. They handled the whole evacuation poorly. But I don’t think 10, 20, 30 years down the line if sea levels continue to rise that there won’t be a program

As someone else pointed out, though. Florida is more fucked. I guess we will have to wait and see how bad it will get, but at the height of the ice age melt I think it was still under an inch a year. And we still have no real idea how bad it will get. The catastrophic estimates are rather unlikely (though still possible). But we should plan for at least moderate rises.

They did a lot more than “threaten”.

Sorry to hear that. I hope that he has been able to recover.

It boggles my mind that people do not heed storm warnings. Every person I have talked to that has stayed put during a major hurricane say they would NEVER do it again. I say don’t do it for a first time.

Thanks. He ended up rebuilding his life in his hometown.

1 Like

Ugh. Very true.

That was before the GOP and the executive branch got taken over by randites and rabid crazy people who think that all non military government spending is bad.

1 Like

But GOP voter base also live in areas that experience weather related tragedies.

The bad news: Evacuating on the forecast of a rainstorm would be unprecedented in city history. In fact, I can’t recall ever hearing of such an evacuation anywhere in the world.

Texas coast, 24 August 2017 — Evacuation orders issued in advance of Hurricane Harvey

And that base has repeatedly demonstrated that as long as the GOP continues to ritualistically vote against the gays, baby-murderers, gun control, and Muslims, the base is fine with the GOP mistreating them and ignoring their health and safety in almost every way imaginable.

2 Likes

Except when they aren’t. There have been many cases here recently where the calls to repeal the ACA was met with resistance from Republican voters.

For sure there are votesr who have swallowed the party line and will go along with what ever. But there is a large portion of voters that do not like the Democrats, but aren’t going to be quiet if the GOP is fucking them over. It’s more complicated than that.

Send More Canoes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.