Florida GOP finally admits that maybe they shouldn't have banned the phrase "climate change" after all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/18/florida-gop-finally-admits-tha.html

9 Likes

Or not. Either way. If you try to build a city in a swamp and then not actively promote for reduction of carbon emmissions I don’t have a lot of sympathy. NOLA: I’m lookin’ at you too.

Said it before, and I’ll say it again: if you buy property in the US with a long-term goal of living there 30+ years from now, you need to buy in Pacific NW, Rockies, or NE. Everywhere else will be on fire, under water, a tundra, or a desert.

I have parents in Tampa who are ~3 miles inland but only ~2 ft above sea level. I don’t think they’ll make it another 40 yrs so I’m not too worried about them.

6 Likes

Everybody thinks they can get rid of the ‘hot potato’ just before Florida sinks into the sea.

14 Likes

Last I checked, Minnesota is also an excellent option. Lots of fresh water distributed throughout the state, so it’s rather safe from any Immortan Joes trying to hoard the Aqua Cola.

ETA: And the winters will become much more bearable.

10 Likes

39 Likes

Agree about Minnesota. I have a relative whose job is trying to move him to Phoenix. I told him he’s insane and that Minnesota looks a lot better. (Actually I don’t like him much and part of the reason he likes Arizona is for its far-right ethos, so I should just let him go. Enjoy the nightlife, because that’s gonna be the only life.)

11 Likes

Shenandoah Valley in VA is pretty sweet in this respect too, but shhhh! keep that to ourselves!

7 Likes

And I’d be willing to bet that Mr. Scott get re-elected the next go around… smdh

2 Likes

“I just feel it’s a duty we owe to future generations to at least have planned for this to some extent,’’ he said. “What can we do in this environment? I don’t know. But we have got to push that envelope.”

How about you issue a public apology for giving us a doomed future, donate all your money to climate relief and ecological recovery efforts and resign in disgrace you bunch of bloodsucking hacks.

12 Likes

Um, try four decades (at least).

13 Likes

Yeah, right up until the big one hits and your land is now under water, on fire, or now on a different continent. Oh, and those lush green forests? Turns out climate change is making it easier to turn them into black, ash-filled wastelands.

5 Likes

That’ll be the day I go back to Annandale.

7 Likes

So these close-minded idiots didn’t give two fucks about climate change until the day THEIR multiple properties became impacted. Sounds right.

15 Likes
7 Likes

Zillowing now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

(Tried to warn you)

2 Likes

There’s a political party in the U.S. who think it’s a moral failing to care about anyone other than yourself.

13 Likes

5 Likes

…if you don’t mind the risk of your children being carried away by mosquitos, that is!

3 Likes

Don’t overlook the cities of the Great Lakes. They are likely to have a more tolerable climate, access to fresh water, low risk of wildfires, low seismic risk, and generally have the physical infrastructure for a population several times what they have now.

9 Likes