Florida GOP finally admits that maybe they shouldn't have banned the phrase "climate change" after all

Shhhhhh!!!

13 Likes

I look forward to saying “told you so!” as we burn, drown, bake, starve, and/or dehydrate.

1 Like

Real estate lobby money influence… now pushing in the other direction?

Putting the kibosh on climate change (CC) talk supposedly helps real estate developers wishing to sell off seaside/low-lying properties. But CC’s rising waters and effect on hurricane intensity/frequency/tracking (btw: wave goodbye to the Keys) chew up real estate, and developers are now living in ‘the future’ they didn’t very much care about years ago. Do/can developers receive federal/state funds/aid for weather-related land loss (and, if so, does fed/state ‘denial’ of CC somehow work against that), and/or are the developers’ insurers now drastically raising their coverage rates in response to CC? I don’t know. I’m just asking questions in the hope that someone knowledgeable here will provide some insight.

FROM 2014:
https://thebluepaper.com/article/climate-change-how-do-you-sell-florida-keys-real-estate-that-may-soon-be-underwater/

2 Likes

Can’t we sack them all and then lock them all up, because ‘zero tolerance’ like the guy who complained about being called the N-word, huh? Sauce for the goose and all that.

2 Likes

Christ, what assholes. I only wish all the impacts of climate change would only be felt by republicans, because boy, do they have it coming.

Someone who deals with climate change issues was asked about advice for Phoenix, and it was: “move somewhere else.”

Yeah… let him go.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, he already failed up from Governor to Senator. He’s got ~5 more years, but he won by a hair. With demographic shift, he’s very unlikely to be elected again.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see what a Republican led plan to deal with this will be after their previous ten-year plan of actively ignoring it/pretending it doesn’t exist didn’t work out.

If it were me, my plan would be to get out. Move inland while you can.

1 Like

I would really like to believe that dRumph has ruined the republican party, but those snakes tend to survive. Demographic shift - maybe, old age shift - nah. I’ll be convinced you’re right when a democratic candidate for president wins Florida.

1 Like

On Monday, October 14, 2019, the words “sea level rise” were heard in the Florida Statehouse for the first time in nearly a decade.

So only Republicans speak in the FL Statehouse? Ok, that’s just snarky, but a Dem presidential debate did just occurred & not one question was posed about climate change. Not one.

1 Like

‘Fiduciary duty to stockholders’ is what lobbyist-energized GOP politicians really work for when it comes to climate change. And stockholder Joe Blow can’t personally reap the rewards of his investments 100 years from now. He just can’t; the third home in Sag Harbor needs a couple of more additions while he’s around to enjoy it.

I’d think that any GOP plan (other than continued denial) would involve either loop-hole riddled, intentionally tangled law; or toothless guidelines as window dressing.

1 Like

The problem isn’t just rising sea levels flooding Florida, but saltwater incursion into the freshwater acquirer. Florida is all limestone, which is very porous, and saltwater incursion has always been a problem. West of Miami, years ago, locks were built to raise the level of water, which increased the pressure to keep out the saltwater. When first constructed there was a 20ft or more differential, but that’s now down to around 3 feet. It’s predicted by 2030, it will be zero, and freshwater will become a severe problem in Florida. Florida is a lost cause, but people there refuse to believe it, and will likely waste billions and billions trying to stave off the inevitable.

3 Likes

That’s because they just had a “town hall” type debate entirely on climate change.

Oh don’t worry these are not Republicans apologizing.

This is just someone who happens to be a republican realizing he has been an enormous moron and is now speaking out that the Republican position for decades has been wrong.

Since intelligence is kind of like a virus, once you find some it just starts to build and build, soon this guy will see flaws in other Republican arguments, and then he will realize what he was and will switch to another party because his own will look repugnant and stupid to him

And then the Republicans will point at him and call him a traitor with the rest of us. This will go on and on down to a single Republican that somehow has more than half the power of the United States and half the votes from gaming the system because business will do anything they say.

This cycle repeats endlessly and that’s why progress never seems to take hold

2 Likes

It kind of makes me wonder how many other policy choices they’ve made that they will come to regret. If I believed in such things, I’d pray for them.

It is worth notiing the Florida is the flatest state in the Union. Sorry Kansas/Nebraska; you don’t come close. Also a heck of a lot of it is barely above sea level. I am somewhat surprised that more of it has not been lost already.

1 Like

I live on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes region. I am expecting many a water pirate and invading force once fresh water become’s more of a pricey resource.

1 Like

I guess no place has ZERO seismic action and I know its rare but we DO have quakes every now and then. we may have enough room to support more people but on the Canadian side (and I assume the American side as well) there are two factors going on to screw that up. xenophobia/nimbyism and building on our green belts with low height condo properties.

https://www.thenation.com/article/capitalism-vs-climate/

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.