"15 Bizarre Museums to Add to Your Next US Road Trip"

But it looks like Trainland USA is still open. It’s an enormous and intricate Lionel layout under a ranch house a mile or so from the interstate in Iowa. Hardest part is getting a kid to leave.

2 Likes

We also enjoyed the Potato Museum somewhere off the 15 in Idaho (Blackfoot, ID).

2 Likes

There’s also one in Washington DC:

Boy, is it interesting.

2 Likes

I’ve been to the Roswell UFO museum, and it’s fun.

Add to the list “Tinkertown” NM, and The Museum of Jurassic Technology in L.A. Ca.

1 Like

I have pictures of my then-infant in one of their tubas.

They missed the best one: The Museum of Jurassic Technology.

I LOVE the MJT. Their flower xray stereograms are amazing. That, the bats, and the Cone of Obliscence… and pretty much everything else there. The tea on the second floor is pretty good, too.

1 Like

If you haven’t read it yet you should check out the 1996 book Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder.

1 Like

Already got a copy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (currently on my sizeable to-read stack.)

1 Like

I was just reminded that @frauenfelder did a write-up on the MJT during his road trip in 2010!

1 Like

portland (the real one) also has (had?) a sex toy store with a tiny little “museum” of archaic devices. who knows if this has survived…

I’ll be your fourth.

1 Like

It’s excellent.

1 Like

That’s been going downhill ever since Vince got that sousaphone.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.