Museum issues curatorial challenge: Show us your creepiest objects -- museums bring the creepy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/museum-issues-curatorial-chall.html

2 Likes

The Mutter Museum is gonna win this hard.

12 Likes

The US Army Medical Museum is a treasure trove of such marvels. Bring your own barf bag.

4 Likes

Bring the CREEPY!

3 Likes

Some years back, the Quay Brothers (in their own inimitable style) did a short film of selected items in the Mutter Museum’s collections, Through the Weeping Glass. Interesting stuff.

5 Likes

It’s a magical place.

6 Likes

I figure the Museum of Jurassic Technology could be in the mix.

2 Likes

I’m expecting one curator to go full “Grim Prairie Tales” and post some perfectly innocuous looking item, where the horror is all in the object’s provenance.

3 Likes

Here’s something just like that, from my private collection:

A compressor and gas turbine from turbostarter/APU that was installed in Warsaw Pact chemical warfare jet.

3 Likes

I mean this is fine and all, but look up the Nábrók.

-D

1 Like

Dark creepy magical, but as we all know, that’s the best kind.

3 Likes

The Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, MO has a current exhibit about lobotomies. Another weird Missouri museum I haven’t (yet) been to, the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, supposedly includes a very rare dissection & preservation of the human nervous system. I can’t find a photo, but surely will post one when I finally make it there

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.