15 most poisonous animals on earth

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/05/15-most-poisonous-animals-on-e.html

1 Like

What about the 15 least poisonous animals on Earth? How come they never get their kudos?

10 Likes

My favorite is the serpentine Australian Sea Sn.

Called so because when bitten by one, people only live long enough to say, “Ouch! I just got bitten by a sn”*

*I stole that bit from Bill Bryson’s “In a Sunburned Country”

9 Likes

Hey Australia! What happened? The two examples Mark used are from America and Africa. Your reputation is at risk here!

8 Likes

They do get their kudos! We write whole books on them! (on how to best prepare them for eating) :smile:

14 Likes

Why is my X not on this list ?!?!?!

3 Likes

Food poisoning for a year… shudder.

2 Likes

That would be a venomous sn, not a poisonous one.

6 Likes

When you eat a poisonous one, you say “Yum, I just ate a sn”…

8 Likes

The animals on this list are ordered by increasing oral LD50 (Lethal
Dose 50%), so the further up the list we go, the smaller the amount of
toxin it would take for your body to fade to room temperature.

That sounds backwards. If the oral LD50 is increasing, that means more of the compound is needed to kill.

ETA: just watched, and indeed, it’s ordered by decreasingly lethal doses.

3 Likes

This guy keeps saying “pederin” as “peredin.”

1 Like

Stop being so penadtic. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I suppose they’re so poisonous because the poisons never need to come into contact with atmo, instead developed over the animals’ lifetime in small gall bladders, rather than be prepared for injection;
This also escapes the requirement to have natural resistance built into the animal in question.

I think he meant “Few and far between”…

vs.

4 Likes

Toxic, actually, and it would have to be an organic compound of Sn.

1 Like

First time I picked up a Poison album, I had two thoughts: they have a chick in their band, good for them & on the tail of that: I guess their bass player is pretty cute…

I love Indian food.

1 Like

Don’t humans produce poisonous substances too?

1 Like

The poisonous nickel mimic is about to eat that tiny octopus? I suppose i should watch the video.

4 Likes