150 greatest science fiction films of all time

Don’t Look Up!

ETA:

That’s too bad, it would make a helluva gif!

3 Likes

Im kinda baffled; for me it seems obvious that a society which just doesnt have anymore any children in the range of 0-18 years 20 years into it, would crumble and ultimatily break. thats not “future harm”, when people want children and cant get any right now in the present.. no. more. babys. for. anyone. ever. there is no one, not one on earth who is younger than 19. not a single one.

a 100-140 million families each year? thats about ~2-4 billion people in this 20 years of the film?

e/

well, and it doesnt; a lot of people in the film carry on as if nothing happend, so, which one is it?

1 Like

Humans aren’t the pinnacle of existence. We’re just a slim blip, currently the width of a human hair on the 360 foot long cosmic pathway. Life will go on after humans. Other societies very well might as well.

But gifs won’t. :sob:

yeah. so? but I bet at least half the worlds population thinks exactly that; humans are the center of the universe, build in his image. be fruitful and multiply. that is still the common perception.

the fuck we talking about here?

Just that it might be a compelling story for some, and less so for others. Not everyone needs to like the same movies. I liked Children of Men, I grew to appreciate certain aspects of the film more after learning about its technical accomplishments, and I appreciated the film less overall after reading the book. It’s all good. Anthropocentric attitudes are probably prevailing, but they might not be. It’s an interesting question.

Also most importantly, and I feel like I’m feeding a fed horse here, but if humanity does end, so do our wonderful memes. So just think on that, soon-to-be-sentient AI summarizing BBS threads.

4 Likes

no arguing here, but that above was about how realistic the description of a world without children in the movie was and @PsiPhiGrrrl reasoning why it wasnt, didnt convince me at all. and I wrote why. thats it.

:laughing:

1 Like

Note how many of today’s societies are threatened by below replacement birthrates and the response of the power elite is various ways to persuade or compel women to have more babies without addressing the structural reasons women (and families) don’t want more babies.

North Korean, the USA, South Korea, PR of China, the UK, Japan, for examples.

4 Likes

yes. and thats why also billboards which reads avoiding fertility tests is a crime show up in the film;

states needing people, capitalism needs people. the film makes it quite clear that the reasons the state of great britain wants children differs greatly from the why the people want children.

damnit, the even best thing the story has is how humanity and earth get a generational pause of somewhat of ~2 billion less humans. and it is a pause, kee gives birth and there is no indication that she is the only one from the last borns 20 years ago who got pregnant, despite the apparent christian undertones; no, her child is not female jesus, she is just the first we know about of.

did I mentioned how much I love this movie?

3 Likes

I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind deserves a spot because when I recently watched it, I could appreciate all over again just how well it was put together. It was a perfect mix of mundane, believable characters and extraordinary situations. Richard Dreyfus’ acting suspended my disbelief because he wasn’t playing a hero, just a family man who suddenly got obsessed.

Sure, the whole UFO craze has come and went, but Close Encounters was a game changer when it came out, almost as much as Star Wars was in that same year. The fact that both were released in 1977 is why we talk of science fiction before and after 1977.

5 Likes

I saw Close Encounters in the cinema last year and I felt it holds up very well. It probably could have done more around the tragedy of Roy’s family falling apart - that plot just exits the movie somewhat inconclusively after his last phone call with Ronnie and then we’re all in on him and Jillian going to Devil’s Tower till the end, but that’s a minor quibble.

2 Likes

Say you’ve never seen Battlefield Earth without saying you’ve never seen Battlefield Earth.

Ha, good point, well made! I haven’t and I’m not sure I can be bothered to correct that omission given its reputation

2 Likes

That one I have seen and I maintain Armageddon is stupider.

Yes. It is SF as It is a superhero movie.

… I don’t remember any suggestion that there were other children or other pregnant people in that film

I counted 106 that I’ve seen, and a half dozen that were on my to-do list.

You clearly missed Moonfall. It makes Armageddon look like Citizen Kane.

Shots fired. lol. And I was afraid to comment how much I detest anime.

1 Like

sure, but maybe not seriously third place? thats just…I mean, I can understand when someone thinks children doesnt deserve a place under the first ten (it is a somewhat broad rating) but third for encounters? out of 150? really?

e/ and the “nice” aliens were pretty assholes, who kidnapped people from the 40s and 50s to dump them 30 years later without anything cause those fuckers were travelling lightspeed. fuck them.

I’ve also read “The Roadside Picnic”, the book that was the basis for this movie. I couldn’t recommend It more.

Solaris is another great scifi book. It is funny that Mr. Lem said that even Mr. Tarkovisk didn’t understand the meaning of the book.

4 Likes

They, uh, forgot this one.

3 Likes
5 Likes