16-year-old Youtuber explains the "8 Levels of Bach" in mesmerizing video

Originally published at: 16-year-old Youtuber explains the "8 Levels of Bach" in mesmerizing video | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I didn’t see trickery, just an editing cut. My guess is that they made a mistake in that section and had to splice in the correct version.

That wasn’t his head, but rather his hair.

Nah, there’s no reason to do the extra work you’re thinking of.

I cannot listen to Bach without getting choked up and completely teary-eyed. I have no idea why, but his music makes me very emotional. This video had me streaming tears.

No mention of Bach would be complete without

4 Likes

Being honest, got lost at 2… :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Well? Could he?

(WaPo is not working for me. Insists I turn off AdBlock and Ghostery when I am running neither. Running Brave Browser and turning shields off made no difference.)

I understand what you say about Bach, but for me it always conjures up the ‘idea’ of mathematical patterns. It seems very ‘engineered’ music - and still beautiful.

I didn’t see anything wrong at either 1.16 or 1.49. At 1.16 it moves to the next level, but the score seems correctly synced to me. Great series!

Not really- He stood there for an hour, made $32.17, got a few people to stop and listen, a couple of people noticed that he was very good, and he was only recognised by one person.

Ironically, I visited the WaPo with adblock fully engaged, and was able to read the full thing. Suck it, Bezos.

3 Likes

Why did Bach have 21 children?

Because his organ didn’t have any stops.

5 Likes

Nope.

The story is worth reading if you can get to it. The author won a Pulitzer for it. It’s become a famous and oft-repeated “experiment.”

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Shred’s takes on Bach and music theory:

6 Likes

Listen (Shh) it’s like a Mozart symphony
Listen (Shh) it’s something just for you and me

Listen (Shh) to what the flower people say (Ah)
Listen, it’s getting truer every day

5 Likes

There’s a beautiful moment in one of Douglas Adams’ Dirk Gently novels where Bach’s music doesn’t exist, until one of the characters (obviously my memory is vague…) ends up on an alien spaceship and hears these ethereal sounds that has them in tears. With some time travel trickery, this ethereal sound is brought to Earth as Bach.

For me Bach’s music is one of those magical things things that shows the beauty inherent in maths, only audible rather than visual.

Actually, “magical” is probably a terrible choice of words in this context. :laughing:

8 Likes

Seems like there was a bit of a jump between 7 and 8.

1 Like

I especially like the stereotypical “1960s stage dancers” in the background dancing with a rhythm that doesn’t seem to match the song.

That song and video is so subtly brilliant, and is a great transition to “A Mighty Wind.”

2 Likes

Speaking of Bach, I loved Bernstein’s explanation of how musical interpretation works. And Glenn Gould, of course.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.