12-year-old pianist improvises a sonata using 4 random notes drawn from a hat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/12-year-old-pianist-improvises.html

3 Likes

I call shenanigans! She was supposed to use E-flat, but was clearly playing D-sharp!

Also, that’s nothing, even Bach could do that.

8 Likes

Woah.

Music seems to be one of those things where there really is an inborn, quantifiable talent involved. I mean, she obviously has practiced a lot, but no matter how hard you taught and trained an average twelve-year-old, they could never pull that improvised sonata off.

1 Like

I’m sure she’s been on BB before, but if not then I found her elsewhere. There is also a BBC documentary programme (‘Finding Cinderella’ - no idea if it is available online) about her. It is clear she is a genius, a modern Mozart, but what is most lovely about her - seen here and in the documentary - is her pure passion and enthusiasm. It is captivting. And the stuff she does in that documentary makes this little thing here pale into insignificance.

5 Likes

Completely insufferable.

1 Like

The part I love even more than the lovely little melody is how much she OBVIOUSLY loves doing it and how much joy she gets from sharing her talent. She isn’t jaded or cynical. She is happy! And, right now, I need happiness wherever I can find it.

8 Likes

The last video I linked was a dodgy link. FIxed up.
This is the interview that is viewable in other countries.
3 Likes

Yes. Talented young women tend to be insufferable. /s

3 Likes

I can tap a rhythm with a pencil on the edge of my desk. For a few seconds.

1 Like

Wow. 

Insufferable precocious children come in both varieties. But I was being uncharitable when I posted that yesterday. The rest of you seem to appreciate the video considerably more than I do.

I mean, do you not think she’s a good player? What’s wrong with enjoying one’s talent and taking a little pride in that?

1 Like

And hardly any pride, considering! Why, this is the sort of thing Bach could do and, I believe it is a consensus among musicologists that he was an alien. Or a robot. If anything she’s being quite modest.

I really look forward to what she does a few decades hence. We may just get another Ricercar a 6. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.