$1700 mini electric Jeep knockoff reviewed

Originally published at: $1700 mini electric Jeep knockoff reviewed | Boing Boing

4 Likes

As a golf cart stand-in i think this would be dope as hell, i’d love to repaint it to look like a mini Jurassic Park Jeep

11 Likes

I saw something similar in a park nearby. A parent was using a controller to drive his kid around the park in what looked like a mini Jeep Cherokee replica. He said it was capable of self drive but he didn’t trust the kid to actually drive the thing.

4 Likes

Looks fun, but it doesn’t have all the creature comforts of the $1200 Changli.

13 Likes

Maybe, maybe not, but the regulations for making a “Neighborhood Electric Vehicle” street legal are much less stringent than for normal cars.

3 Likes

get a zero turn electric mower and at least be able to do something useful with it.

2 Likes

Waiting for the police dashcam video of a drunk retired gentleman driving this vehicle along a highway.

3 Likes

I’d estimate that it could go maybe 5-10 miles total on the large lithium battery that I have. That is significantly less than the 48 miles advertised.

I’m sure the advertising claim is entirely correct. It would probably go 48 miles unladen - i.e. if it didn’t have to carry a peskily heavy human.

3 Likes

Pro: its electric Con: It’s not much bigger than a garden tractor - and one of those would probably take you anywhere this one would go - for cheaper.

1 Like

this is why siri and alexa should be allowed to raise children.

1 Like

Honestly, in NYC, I’d be happy if this were the heaviest / fastest cars that were allowed on the road.

Most garden tractors are NOT cheaper than $1700, and they don’t seat two people. You also can’t get a garden tractor registered as a neighborhood electric vehicle to operate on public roads.

That said, when I was in college I was part of a club that happened to have a couple old Kubota lawn tractors that were used for parades. I found that I could drive them anywhere I wanted on campus and park them wherever I pleased without fear of getting ticked or towed. Parking enforcement doesn’t usually pay attention to lawn tractors on the grass in front of a building.

I’m holding out for the real deal. It’s not electric, but whatever…

Why not a cheap but cool knockoff from India?

1 Like

Needs moar rollover bar.

1 Like

Now that’s what I’m talking about. And that is exactly the make and model of the garden tractor that I used in my last caretaking job. Slow as piss but it would climb walls. Saw one the other day for $150 and was sorely tempted. This story reminds me of an elderly couple here in Australia who had all kinds of problems getting an early Polaris quad -Ag vehicle road registered so they could slowly travel the backroads of Western Australia. They finely convinced the authorities. We do not have a neighbourhood small vehicle registration category here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.