18 months on, kids' smart watches are STILL a privacy & security dumpster-fire, and a gift to stalkers everywhere

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/31/techsixtyfour.html

2 Likes

What kid needs a smartwatch?
I didn’t even know kids wore watches…

2 Likes

Buy them this smart watch instead @doctorow

5 Likes

I wore one of the Casios like @anon62577920’s link above starting in 4th grade. It was pretty cool for the time period.

2 Likes

I think a lot of engineers are focused on making the thing they are working on work - so the watch is talking to the server. If all the functionality for the watch is there they are good. It takes a different mindset to think about all the ways an API can be abused, assuming there’s not a regular client but a bad guy on the other end. That’s not an excuse, though, just a possible explanation. They should have had somebody competent reviewing this and they should have had it pen tested before release.

And @ulasaw, remember the Swatch Watch craze?

2 Likes

flagging this post for implying i’m not cool, a venomous libel.

:wink:

in all seriousness it was a really useful watch when backpacking europe. prague and polandia don’t use euro (~40 czechbucks to the freedom unit IIRC), had 2 time zones, and an alarm so i could safely lock up my phone while sleeping in the dorms

2 Likes

Who has time to stalk the neighbor kids? Just monitoring the hidden cams takes up all my free time.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Use an app for a geo-alert when they’re on your lawn.

2 Likes

Was that the strap you slammed on your
wrist and it wrapped around it?
Or some other watch?
Sigh. .just too far away from watch wearing!

1 Like

I think you’re confusing swatch watches with slap bracelets…

But apparently, you CAN get a slap watch (though it’s not made by Swatch):

1 Like

That’s what I remember!
Thanks for the ::::::fast response!

2 Likes

Who has time to stalk neighbor kids?
The pedo neighbor!

I had a couple of Swatches… back in the day.

1 Like

The kid isn’t the likely customer here, so their needs are of limited relevance.

The use case is surveillance; it’s just supposed to provide that capability to kiddo’s parents either than basically the entire internet.

Now there’s something I haven’t thought about in a long time. I had a clear one with hot pink hands, a neon green band, and a translucent purple Swatch Guard. Hello, 1989.

1 Like

All you middle class kids and your swatch watches! :wink:

1 Like

I’ll admit it was somewhat of an attempt to fit in and “be cool” but my big plastic glasses, braces, bowl cut, and penchant for wearing sweatpants everyday made it a futile gesture.

1 Like

What did those jerks know anyways!?!? You’re accepted here! Swatch watch or no!

one-of-us

I do remember getting a knock off swatch that was cheaper… but my family didn’t have a ton of disposable income…

2 Likes