1949 chart shows difference between high- and low-brow taste

You just lost it.

5 Likes

Based on this chart, my brow is probably located somewhere near my knees.

1 Like

I googled “charades” and “known as the game” and confirmed my hunch that it was some kind of version of it, the page at http://www.freewebs.com/geneius/hanginroundmydoor.htm has a quote about Gene Kelly from the July 1950 Saturday Evening post which says:

When the backyard athletics are over, Gene is likely to suggest a strenuous version of the parlor charade known as The Game. He is indefatigable at this kind of mental exercise too. His team once acted out a sentence written by Freud in one of his more puckish moments: “Dementia praecox is very unfortunate hanging on the family tree.” Gene got it in just forty seconds…

crashproof’s answer is better, though…

3 Likes

Newcy Brown and Boddy’s as highbrow?

Beer and comic books, baby!

Newcastle and Boddingtons are less highbrow, and more breakfast.

4 Likes

Well, in his defense, she did hit, bite, and scratch him. Precursor to some S&M, I’d say.

Well, hers at least (o)

No doubt La Fin du Monde and Maudite are out of the stratosphere… :smiley:

1 Like

You, sir, are obviously from the east coast.

1 Like

Southeast, actually. And I was a big fan of Flying Dog Ales when they were in Colorado. The move to Maryland hasn’t diminished their quality any, but, alas, it does seem to have made their brews harder to get where I live.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.