1963 dinner menu features a groping theme

Originally published at: Controversial 1963 Sowbelly Dinner Menu with Groping Theme Surfaces

2 Likes

The artwork reminds me of a certain artist. Do nurse’s left shoelaces form initials?

3 Likes

Found this article which describes a possible menu of the event:

Sowbelly (ie. bacon, or some other fatty salted pork), boiled & baked beans, coffee, cornbread, flapjacks, sourdough bread, pie and cake.

3 Likes

Screenshot 48

Not that I can see.

1 Like

I came of age during this period of history. Looking back on it now, it is disconcerting to realize how much of the culture exhibited both misogynistic, racist, and homophobic themes quite openly. It’s been a good thing to have awareness about these issues re-examined and reconsidered.

12 Likes

It reminds me of a less-zany Jack Davis, but I don’t think it is him.

1 Like

I do believe this is the time period people like Donald Trump think of when the talk about when America was “great”.

4 Likes

I’m trying to imagine the brief given to the menu’s designer.

Here’s the copy and guest list. I want a layout with a font to emphasise the elegance of this distinguished occasion, and a picture of a half-naked drugged up miner groping a nurse’s backside. Oh, and inside there should be a picture of a miner slobbering all over a half-naked woman sitting what looks like it could be a high-class bordello.

2 Likes

And why IS he drugged up? What’s the doc just jabbed into him?

2 Likes

I got a Mad Magazine vibe from these illustrations. Or Cracked maybe?

6 Likes

The imagery is disturbing, but I have to say that the poem on the inside might constitute a crime all on its own.

4 Likes

The menu is in the image:

Sowbelly and Beans
Beef, Turkey and other cold meats
other side dishes, ad infinitum

The sowbelly and beans is standard 19th century Western fare for cowboys, miners and anyone else away from civilization. The whole thing screams nostalgia for the good old times none of them were alive for.

1 Like

This whole thing was weirdly common from the time. Remember the old Coppertone ads?

They used this until not very long ago. They still since then “toned” it down.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.