1966: the coolest year in pop culture history

[Permalink]

2 Likes

And yet the best decade for it was the 30s.

3 Likes

I was born in 1966. Believe me, it was grim in London in those days. My parents needed all the escapism they could get. Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.

3 Likes

Huh, so he’s kind of like a real-life version of the character from Dan Clowes’ comic “MCMLXVI” (first pages can be seen here, the whole thing is available in the collection Caricature)

1 Like

The Green Hornet? Really? The Green Hornet dates back to 1936, so you only missed it by 3 decades. However 1966 was the first time we saw anything like what we now refer to as a drone on TV, and that was on “The Green Hornet” TV show. The Black Beauty could launch a flying disc that could be remotely controlled, and could transmit video back to the super car.

I do recall “Super Stuff”. It came in a cottage cheese-type plastic container. You mixed the powder with water, and then shook it until your arms were about to fall off. My mother wouldn’t let it in the house, so I had to play with it outside, and it didn’t take long before the pink goo was thoroughly infused with grass clippings and dirt. It was one of many “super” toys from Wham-o, which included the fantastic Super Ball, the Super Sneaky Squirtin’ Stick, and Super Elastic Bubble Plastic.

2 Likes

So life was never better than
In nineteen sixty-three
(Though just too late for me) -
Between the end of the “Chatterley” ban
And the Beatles’ first LP.
-Philip Larkin, “Annus Mirabilis”

I guess everyone has their own version.

Pop-culture pedant wishes to point out that the Viewmaster reel displayed is unviewable, since the opposing slides are completely different.

1 Like

'How the Grinch stole Christmas" was published in 1957.

1966 nostalgia is even more pronounced in England, for reasons of sport.

In all fairness, he said “hadn’t been seen or heard”. Grinch was a book, but The Green Hornet was a long-running radio show, and was made into a number of movie serials, so the author has failed on both “seen” and “heard”, when it comes to The Green Hornet.

BTW, The Green Hornet and The Lone Ranger were created by the same person, and the two fictional characters are blood relations. Britt Reid, (the Hornet) is The Ranger’s grandnephew.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.