Today's toys have nothing on the ones in this 1960s Mattel commercial

Originally published at: Today's toys have nothing on the ones in this 1960s Mattel commercial | Boing Boing

2 Likes

We had the clowny jack-in-the-box at our church nursery. It was very well made, and lasted for years.

I had a friend who had the Mickey Mouse guitar, and I remember it being kind of awkward to use (the crank on the side – no, not my uncle). IIRC, weren’t the strings made of nylon similar to fishing line?

5 Likes

Holy motherfucking shit. I think I had that Popeye guitar.

2 Likes

I had this one as a kid;

3 Likes

Well yeah, but haven’t they ruined the surprise already? Or not; I’m still not sure what’s supposed to pop out of the guitar when you turn the crank.

1 Like

2 Likes

They already had the candy cigarettes and military uniform costumes. Now all they need is PTSD flavor soda. I’m thinking something like New Coke.

2 Likes

Not that it much matters, but this ad was almost surely from the late 1950s, not the 1960s. Not only from the style of the commercial, but also because it describes the Mattel musical line as “new”; I have personal knowledge that at least two of these toys existed before 1960.

I hope the therapy I have to get after seeing that thing is as successful as what you must have had from owning it.

1 Like

I think you are likely correct. From history I’ve found, the Jack-in-the-boxes debuted in '51, and the guitars around '55?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.