Cool mixtape of Japanese toy commercials from 1990s-2000s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/24/cool-mixtape-of-japanese-toy-c.html

1 Like

Want that Gaiking at 1:09. Also, the orignal is so lo-fi it views better on not HD settings.

Cool mixtape of Japanese toy commercials from 1990s-2000s

Surely some of these are from the '70s and '80s? I recognize some toys I coveted in the '70s there - the toys might have persisted for decades beyond that, but the ads seem older than '90s and '00s.

2 Likes

Here is a more recent ad for the Diaclone toys reboot (for adults young at heart considering the cost/quality of toys).

Thought the same. Pretty sure I saw a US version of that Gaiking ad as a lad in the 70’s.

2 Likes

yeah these are pretty clearly 70s-80s, maybe a couple early 90s?

2 Likes

Definitely '70s-'80s. Voltes V, Gaiking, UFO Robo Grendizer, Marveller and JAKQ were well out of fashion by the early '90s. Popy only produced the Chogokin line for these characters until the late '80s. By the early '90s the die-cast metal was replaced with ABS and PVC, and the Chogokin line was retired. (Until 2000 when ‘Soul of Chogokin’ line was introduced, primarily for toy collectors --not for children, mostly due to cost.)

1 Like

to be fair/pedantic, the ‘cool mixtape’ could have been put together in the 1990s/2000s

1 Like

Sigh, this reminds me of probably the only toy I’d want back from my childhood. The Godaikin Abega (Alpha-Beta-Gamma; three robots/ships that formed into one super jet) that my grandmom picked up for $4.99 at the drug store because she couldn’t afford to buy me a Transformer for my tenth birthday. I had no idea (still don’t) of what back story it might have had, so I made one up for it.

Probably is, given the poor quality - seems like a VHS copy-of-a-copy(of-a…).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.