Commercial for Rocks & Bugs & Things — a line of really awesome toys from the '80s

Originally published at: Commercial for Rocks & Bugs & Things — a line of really awesome toys from the '80s | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen these before. As a kid it would be a do not want.

Also, so is BB now doing this air.tv now?

3 Likes

This line came directly out of a Josh Baskin brainstorming session.

3 Likes

Why, in my day it was Birds and Rocks and Things…

6 Likes

In my day it was rocks rocks & things…

4 Likes

And you couldn’t even afford a name for your horse!

5 Likes

I vaguely remember these, mainly the rock ones. They were… how do I put this… really shitty. There were a shocking amount of crappy bug/rock/lizard toys around this time. They all sucked.

ETA: Just had a flashback. I don’t think I knew anyone who owned these, but I remember that one armed rock being in a church or community center toy bin and wondering what!?! and why!?! when I found it. It just kind of raises its arm up and down?

i-dont-get-it

2 Likes

I can just hear the jingle…(with apologies to America):

On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and rocks and bugs and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t remember ever seeing these in stores. They just kind of showed up in random bins of toys at churches and daycares. Almost always the Bloodstone (?) rock thing. Never the other ones for some reason.

2 Likes

From the commercial each toy looks essentially binary - two modes. Press a button and it reveals the creepy. The toys I had like that when I was a sprat were quickly shelved

Was it a Rock Lord?

I love real rocks, and Rock Lords were stupid as fuck.

1 Like

This is my childhood era and I don’t remember them. Thankfully.

They were, indeed. But no, this was that turd-pile looking thing in the commercial. Not the one with two arms, mind you. The one with a slab tentacle thing. How does such a piece of crap even get made?

1 Like

breaking-bad-hank-minerals

2 Likes

Sometimes. Sometimes they are just rocks! :wink: Or fossils!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.