1970s "model interiors" genuinely fascinating, horrible

I recall the remnants of theservice kinds of scenes from when I was a kid and the family would go to the local mall.

Enough that when I finally watched the original “Dawn of the Dead” that the mockup bedrooms and such in the mall were both grotesque and fascinating.

2 Likes

I think you need to stop paying attention to the news for a few days. You’re starting to pick up Trumpisms.

3 Likes

They seem to have a good selection of those 3M box-games:

2 Likes

That’s an odd spot for a gun rack.

2 Likes

The caption for this one was “Panic Room, c. 1971.”

5 Likes

Ah. Good to have tennis rackets in the panic room then.

3 Likes

Extra weapons for when you run out of shells!

2 Likes

The DeTomaso Panteras from the early '70s were cool:

The early 70s made a few American cars that looked okay to my eyes:

I had a '70 Firebird in High School (with the big back wheels, low profile fronts, and the 404 bored out to a 427) so I might be biased but I thought it looked cool (more then, though):

But there were a lot of really hideous '70s cars on the streets to make up for the few that weren’t.

3 Likes

For each decent looking car, there were at least 3 heinous land yachts.

This last one is the gem I learned to drive manual transmission on:

3 Likes

FTFY. Though is that Continental that bad? Well, yeah, I guess it is. Everything AMC made in the '70s was an abomination against all that’s good and right.

2 Likes

Buick Riviera i was partial to. Back end resembled a fighter cockpit, front end resembled an icebreaker boat.

1 Like

The Riviera was pretty cool, that back end was really striking. The '70s Barracudas were cool too, though as with most cars, the styling of the '60s models made them look embarrassing in comparison. The '70s Mustang II, that was… it was immoral.

2 Likes

And 25-30 years from now, people will be saying the same thing about granite and stainless steel: “What were they THINKING?”

8 Likes

I have a soft spot for heinous land yachts, but that’s probably because I grew up on the other side of the Atlantic to them. We had British Leyland instead.

4 Likes

Oh man, that takes me back!

January 2, 1976. Day after New Year’s and I was feeling it. I was due back on base at NAS Pax River in six hours, and I was eight hours away. I had a 240Z just like that picture though not in as good shape. My girlfriend at the time volunteered to help me drive and then bring my car back to my parents’ house. (Enlisted pukes like me weren’t allowed to bring our cars on base then.) So we did a speed run down the NJ Turnpike and Rt 95 in the middle of the night. I got into my uniform in the car (no small feat) and made it to the gate with two minutes to spare. Gave my girlfriend a kiss and watched her drive off.

That was the last I ever saw of the car or the girlfriend. About two years later my dad got a call that the wrecked and stripped carcass (the car, not the girlfriend) had been recovered and did I want it back? He went and looked at it and made a command decision to scrap it. I occasionally wonder what ever became of the girlfriend.

Good times, good times!

9 Likes

On a similar note, may I present to you, “the amazing mackerel pudding plan”.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Mackerel-Pudding-Plan-Classic/dp/159448208X&ved=0ahUKEwi695e88arOAhUBoSwKHd3GBtQQFghbMAk&usg=AFQjCNEdzd_uNeBSgmoYmFp_SDZysBWr3A&sig2=oCQeeXwC8vGCqs88dli1yw

So you’re saying that the higher the 70’s content of a city, the more beautiful it is? You may find some disagreement here, my friend. Just trying to give you a friendly warning before the 70’s haters start in on you.

1 Like

The library where I used to work (less than a year ago) still has one of those all-in-one efficiency units. The stove/oven hasn’t worked or been used in years, ditto the fridge; they are both mostly storage now. The sink is still plumbed and working, although cold water only. The whole thing is about 5’ wide.

1 Like

And I still feel sorry for you for it.

1 Like

There were some, aaaaah, uniquely lovable things about a few of them though. The inside of an Austin Ambassador for instance, is a very comfortable place. And a working Triumph is, well, a triumph (one day, I will own a GT6. One day…)

3 Likes