1977 Woolworth TV commercial for Halloween masks, candy, and a record of spooky sounds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/09/1977-woolworth-tv-commercial-f.html

1 Like

6 Likes

Your spooky-vinyl dollars are probably better spent on the living

1 Like

Holy crow - I still have that record!

7 Likes

My local five and dime was the best. I could go get comics, candy, model kits, action figures, balsa wood airplanes…it had it all.

5 Likes

Happily, now available to listen to for less than $1.98!

5 Likes

I think I still have it too. I went through a period of collecting any/all Halloween sound effects records, including tapes and cds. Some were just individual tracks of screams or rattling chains (etc) but my favorites were the ones where they made an ambient collage that would last one side of a tape or LP.

I also picked up one of these last year, I find it’s great for broadcasting over the intercom at work if a few of us are staying late. “Did you just hear a crow??”

3 Likes

In 1977, I was working at the Woolworth’s just outside of the Andrews AFB Systems Command gate. We had everything in that store, including goldfish and little quarter sized Red-Eared Slider turtles. I really felt sorry for those. A lot were bought by little kids. Some were brought back by angry parents, I bet most went down the toilet. Later, the manager insisted that they would only be sold to persons 16 and older.

5 Likes
3 Likes

The one I had as a kid was Sounds of Terror!

From that review, it sounds like I missed out.

ETA: You can listen to the whole thing courtesy of arcive.org: https://archive.org/details/SoundsofTerror

The track that stuck with me all these years was the Jack the Ripper bit.

2 Likes

Holly Hobbie?

Before Hello Kitty and My Pretty Pony,

there was Holly Hobbie.

2 Likes

Holly Hobbie (a little girl in a patchwork skirt and giant blue bonnet) was everywhere in the 70s. Toys, greeting cards, dolls.

Interestingly, Holly Hobbie is also a real person who created the character named after herself, as well as the adorable Toot & Puddle series of books and cartoons.

4 Likes

You know what really brings back the nostalgia in that video? Not anything to do with Woolworth’s specifically…the hairstyle.

My LITTLE Pony… They weren’t no dollar store knock off!

pinkiepiehops

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.