In the late 70s, these Honeycomb cereal box records freaked me right the &$*% out

Originally published at: In the late 70s, these Honeycomb cereal box records freaked me right the &$*% out | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Yep.

13 Likes

I keep hearing that Gen Xers are difficult to market to. I want to say that’s because packaging no longer has integrated records, but I don’t think enough of us have turntables anymore. Plus we have podcasts and smartphones and Spotify. Still, I probably bought more Honeycomb (read: screamed in the supermarket aisle until my mom put a box of Honeycomb into her cart) because of these stupid records than I bought of any other product in any other marketing ploy ever. I remember most of them playing remarkably clearly despite being cut from a cereal box and horribly warped.

9 Likes

I have two. And a microphone.

So just clap your hands. Just clap your hands.

21 Likes

We often ate Super Sugar Crisp or Alpha-Bits, so of course I had these cereal box records.

ETA: Hey, look!

9 Likes

Every bear on that Sugar Bear cover looks intoxicated by a different substance. Happiness Train, indeed.

7 Likes

I knew my mom was doing us a disservice by not buying us sweetened cereal!

I recall that cereal boxes had CDs, maybe DVDs, as premiums about 20 years ago. I also collected coupons to exchange for DVDs. That wasn’t a bad deal; I gave most to my nieces, but I got a great movie called “Millions” about a Irish (?) kid who found a satchel of pound notes just before the conversion to the Euro.

I had a few “flexies” from MAD magazine and the like. One came with an ALF doll that was a Burger King freebie.

3 Likes

My daughters got a Babar DVD that way - I think they may have worn it out.

2 Likes

Came for this! It’s why I never encountered the scary stories… :laughing:

3 Likes

Can’t forget the Honeycomb mini license plates for bicycles.

6 Likes

And the Sugar Bear reflectors for your spokes!

Honey-Comb Around-A-Corner Viewers

No one-box, sorry guys. 50 Greatest Cereal Box Prizes

3 Likes

How does that list not include this:

8 Likes

8 Likes

I didn’t know about this either! But we did collect the Cap’n Crunch Super Sub!

3 Likes

ok, so the only record-on-the-back-of-a-cereal-box that I remember is The Monkees and the song “Last Train To Clarksville”. I’m pretty sure the the cereal was Alpha Bits.

3 Likes

I’ll see your Fisher-Price record player, and raise you one Kenner Close 'n Play:

5 Likes

Thanks for the walk down nostalgia’s aisle, everyone. I remember those cut out records, and the cheap little phonographs (and the electrical shock I once got from one because I was a dumb kid). All the great old toys we used to get in cereal. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Well, we know what one bear likes. :wink:

3 Likes

Mary Mary!

2 Likes