John Oliver rails on breakfast cereal marketing

Originally published at: John Oliver rails on breakfast cereal marketing | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I thought Tony was into cricket, not basketball:

The star of one of the creepiest kid’s shows ever aired was a spokespuppet for Sugar Smacks:

11 Likes

Yes, I want the Vaccine CicadaTM!

Screenshot_20210531-061016

15 Likes
16 Likes

What a fortunate coincidence that Big Mathilda, who wants big cereal, somehow stumbled upon the very secretive Honeycomb hideout, which also happens to have a basketball hoop in addition to (of course) having the namesake big cereal.

Things could not possibly have worked out more perfectly.

edit: I’ve thought about this some more and come to a conclusion (or realization). The Honeycomb hideout has a long history of visitors, all of whom want big cereal. This can’t be coincidence. But nobody shows up for any other reason, so it must be pretty well hidden from normies.

I think the voice that opens each commercial is a siren’s call to those looking for big cereal: “Come to the Honeycomb hideout” it sings, and anyone so inclined hears the call, and is drawn to the hideout. Those who don’t want big cereal simply can’t hear the call.

9 Likes

Sugar Frosted Cicada Husks?

14 Likes

Crunchier than Crunchy FrogTM, more nutritious than Cockroach ClusterTM !

18 Likes

Holy shit. That Joe 90 cereal box is as dark and disturbing as the child-who-assassinates-people-with-foreign-accents plots of Joe 90 episodes.

16 Likes

instant oatmeal with squid ink and beet sugar for the goths !!
if i had friends in the real world , i would try it out on them !

6 Likes

This is coo coo for cocoa puffs…

4 Likes

I only just discovered there is an Oreo cereal: Oreo O’s. I can see what he means about the lack of creativity…
I don’t even eat cereal but would totally buy that mystery box.
Also, the fact that John Oliver moved here and voluntarily became a citizen gives me great hope for our country. He sees something that I can’t see, clearly.

7 Likes

I would totally make a deal with a friend if they liked stuff like peanut butter or almond flavors. We buy the boxes, I get the fruity flavors, they can have the peanut butter, chocolate, etc. flavors.

5 Likes

With climate change/destruction and continued population growth, it is what we’ll all be eating in 50 years - and we’ll be thankful for it.

2 Likes

Aren’t we already there?

6 Likes

I will be that friend! :blush:

5 Likes

Supermarionation at its best!!

1 Like

19 Likes

John Oliver is lucky enough, it seems, not to live in :canada:, where insulin is cheaper apparently in order to allow for consumer experimentation with stuff like this…

Preceded by the much derided “timbits” cereal :face_vomiting:

:arrow_double_up: Eat your heart out, young Calvin… We see your “Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs” and raise you “Compressed Chocolate Donut Holes”…

4 Likes

Goth kids don’t like chocolate?

3 Likes

If this is how cults get started, sign me up! I hear that call!

3 Likes