This 1950s Sugar Crisp Cereal commercial sparks joy

Originally published at: This 1950s Sugar Crisp Cereal commercial sparks joy | Boing Boing

2 Likes
7 Likes

sparks joy

Ummm…I"m gonna go with hyperglycemia.

9 Likes

Yummy sugary goodness, until the early adult onset diabetes catches you.

7 Likes

Wait, the commercial recommends eating the cereal “with milk or cream?”

WITH CREAM? What sort of dystopian nightmare is that? That’s almost as disgusting as one of my roommates who ate cereal with water. Blech.

8 Likes

Super Sugar Crisp’s Sugar Bear was my spirit animal in the 1970s. So cool, with that lazy, Bing Crosby-inspired voice of his, effortlessly thwarting his enemies. Here’s a supercut of his oeuvre:

4 Likes

I did love that stuff when I was a kid. Also Kellogg’s Sugar Corn Pops—just as sweet but somehow crunchier. Here’s a box featuring Andy Devine (then a sidekick to “Wild Bill Hickock,” which the cereal sponsored), who went on to or came from “The Buster Brown Show.”

4 Likes

You and I have wildly different ideas of “adorable.”

2 Likes

Pluck your magic twanger, froggy! (Which you’ll never convince me wasn’t some sort of double entendre.)

6 Likes

My childhood favorite was Sugar Jets, which I read somewhere was the most sugary of all. And how about Chocolate Coated Sugar Bombs?

Edit: Shame on me. Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.

1 Like

This came up in a recent thread about creepy cereal commercials from the era. Lots of love for Sugar Bear’s voice actor Gerry Matthews.

3 Likes

I suspect that this might be a difference between how dairy was packaged now vs then. I recall my grandmother longing for the creamer when milk was delivered to your door not being quite the same as half and half. I’ve also seen Canadian recipes that call for “Cereal Cream” which is basically half and half.

2 Likes

Hidden in plain sight at the end of the advert is a testament to society’s progress.

The cereal box is explicitly described: “The red white and blue box with three bears on it”.

Presumably because many of the parents would be illiterate or semi-literate, and the advertisers knew it. Best to give a good description to make sure they bought the right thing…

Yes, everything is a mess these days. But there are many ways in which we’ve improved, and we take them for granted.

That box is quite small. It might feed two kids for one meal.

At least they were eating it in the correctly-sized salad bowls. /s

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.