This clown sure likes Sugar Rice Krinkles in this 1956 TV spot

Originally published at: This clown sure likes Sugar Rice Krinkles in this 1956 TV spot | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Yes, just as disturbing as expected.

8 Likes

“Sugar Rice Krinkles in milk! They all float down here!”

14 Likes

I’m so glad to be alive during a time when most advertisers seem to have realized clowns are horrifying. Even Ronald doesn’t often show up in the McDonald’s commercials much anymore.

6 Likes

This needs a unicorn chaser

5 Likes

Post should reintroduce this cereal as Pennywise Sugar Rice Krinkles. Most of the population will avoid it but there’s a segment of the public (Steven King fans) that would probably buy it.

11 Likes

Don Draper would not have signed off on that.

11 Likes

tumblr_myh283Hm7F1s4rha3o1_250

5 Likes

That was pure nightmare fuel. Especially when he gets crazy eyes when doing the cereal box close up. Of course we don’t know what take they used so he could be all hopped up on sugar and honey.

4 Likes

It seems intolerable now, but commercials all used to be 60 seconds long.

3 Likes

Is ‘sugar rice’ one of those plants like ‘sugar beets’ and ‘sugar cane’?

1 Like

Or Candy Cane?

Good lord no, he would have turned it into some nostalgia trip for the lost innocence of childhood which makes everyone cry.

2 Likes

Very anachronistic The Ring reference. How could Krinkles have known??

Man, the 50’s really were a lawless land of advertising before clowns were considered culturally creepy.

My question is cause vs effect? Clowns have been in existence forever, and it’s only recently that they’ve gotten a really bad rap.

And how much Sugar Rice Krinkles did Gacy eat?

1 Like

Reminds me of Circus Fun cereal, which I’m pretty sure is the only cereal to ever have black packaging.

3 Likes

Alternatively, Creepy Post Sugar Rice Krinkles Cereal 1953 in g major - YouTube

Beats “So-Hi”, the racist Asian stereotype they used for this cereal later.

2 Likes

I’ve seen evidence these do grow on trees.

3 Likes

Man, creepy clowns and racist BS… Sounds like this is a cereal that is just about ready to make a comeback in the good old USofA. Did they serve this at this year’s CPAC? I heard that they got the clown as a keynote speaker.

2 Likes