It's Friday, so enjoy these disturbing 1960s cereal commercials

Originally published at: It's Friday, so enjoy these disturbing 1960s cereal commercials | Boing Boing

6 Likes

There was a webcomic a few years back called “Breakfast of the Gods” that starred ALL of the cereal mascots from the 60s and 70s. It was a fight between the forces of good, led by Cap’n Crunch, and the forces of evil, led by Count Chocula.

It’s offline now, but it’s on the Wayback Machine: Breakfast of the Gods

9 Likes

My favorite is this Sugar Crisp commercial that was described to me as “The Terminator, but all he wants is cereal”:

8 Likes

Creepy and sinister; sugar-pushers were (are) like the Pied-Piper of Hamelin.

4 Likes

I feel diabetic shock coming on just watching those… :crazy_face: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I had an Apple Jacks addiction as a child. Must have been those “real apple bits.”

5 Likes

That Apple Jacks mascot seems a little racist to me.

They’re missing one

5 Likes

Diabetic coma waiting to happen…

2 Likes

i loved all of these, but Apple Jacks were a particular favorite. everyone thinks that kids cereals are too sweet, but they really aren’t that bad – i had some Cap’n Crunch recently, and it was just as good as i remembered. [EDIT]: i forgot to mention that i never realized Tennessee Tuxedo was the mascot for Frosty-Os! mind blown.

6 Likes

Love the way the leprechaun’s fiddle playing makes the kids go all Michael Flatley until they cover their ears.

4 Likes

Ooh, Sugar Bear’s voice is so silky. Apparently, I’m not the only one to notice.

It also seems that Granny Goodwitch was Ruth Buzzi!

Golden Crisp (Commercial) - Behind The Voice Actors

2 Likes

Adam Rex explores the themes of traumatic cereal mascots in his middle grade Cold Cereal Saga. They’re super fun!

1 Like

I like when the lucky charms guy appeared on Star Trek and kicked Captain Kirks ass.

7 Likes

The Coco Puffs Cuckoo bird reminds me of Tyrone Biggums (Dave Chappelle’s crackhead character)

1 Like

Oh, man. I’d almost forgotten about that.

It was a trip. Violent and disturbing. Cap’n Crunch is a real hero, as I recall.

3 Likes

I LOVED the Linus the Lionhearted show as a wee little tyke. It disappeared from the airwaves suddenly and permanently. It was essentially a program-length cereal commercial. Which just WASN’T OK until Reagan became president.

Late 60s memories:

The Trix Rabbit got a chance to get a box of cereal! It was put to a vote. Boxes of Trix has an official ballot on them.

The rabbit won! In the special commercial where the results were announced, he ate that box in a few delirious seconds, and was then bummed out.

The stunt was repeated again in the 70s.

7 Likes

Was anyone else out there disappointed when they first got Lucky Charms to learn that there was other stuff besides the ‘marshmallow’ bits?

1 Like

My kid sister used to eat all the marshmallows bits out of the box and then try to blame it on me. My parents never fell for it and made her eat the marshmallow-less cereal before buying anymore. She still complains about the injustice 40 years later. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

One just knows this has inspired some slash fiction.

4 Likes