1993 New York City recorded in high-definition DVHS format

[quote=“Liam1, post:14, topic:99930, full:true”]
1993? Why, that’s only a few years ago. Right? Right??[/quote]
For me: Pre-grad-school, pre-move-to-west-coast.

This was the NY I visited to see relatives and on business. (Lived on Long Island.)

3 Likes

Really nice! Big nostalgia flood for me and amazing quality for that time.

Its not really an SS insignia, that was the local Hell’s Angels club in the Lower East Side.

We might have known each other back then.

Some of the shots are Lower East Side Hispanic areas.

1 Like

Depends upon when you are. Since simultaneity was done away with, all times and places coexist.

1 Like

http://www.gsmhistory.com/vintage-mobiles/#motorola_m300_1993

1 Like

It’s not possible for there to be and tape “look” to this footage. D-VHS is digital data that just so happens to be stored on a tape. If it were stored on another medium, it would look exactly the same.

My guess is the look you’re ascribing to the medium is actually an appreciation of the style film-makers produced at the time with the myriad technical and stylistic choices involved.

1 Like

It may be more to the cameras/lenses used for recording to tape than the medium itself. But it definitely has a look different than film, and even modern digital methods.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s absolutely something to do with the choice of kit and how it’s used. It’s interesting.

I’d love to see the same studio and subject being filmed with equipment from different era and, perhaps, the prominent stylistic choices / configurations.

1 Like

an enthusiast describes dvhs, and the “new york in 1993” footage is alluded to

1 Like

That’s it!!

1 Like

Neat. I was in High School then right in the neighbourhood of lower Manhattan. So, this feels like home.

The only odd thing was seeing people staring straight ahead instead of looking down at their screens.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.