2016: Once again, piracy was so bad that the movie industry smashed all box office records

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/02/2016-once-again-piracy-was-s.html

3 Likes

Well at least they’ll have enough money to continue lobbying for things like copyright extensions, use of law enforcement time & resources to go after pirates whilst simultaneously minimizing their tax exposure and getting those lolvely tax breaks etc., which is nice I suppose…

12 Likes

In other news, we can’t buy music anywhere these days, because home taping killed the recording industry…

14 Likes

ComScore, a data measurement company, did not calculate admissions, but studio executives and analysts believe that attendance will be essentially flat. Nor does it account for inflation. The record was achieved, in part, thanks to more expensive tickets. Ticket prices hit new highs earlier in 2016, though an average full-year price for tickets have yet to be calculated.

Cory leaves out some useful information in the pursuit of clicks.
In related news: Water still wet; women, minorities most affected.

3 Likes

Oh, I remember that!
I also remember stickers that read “Home fucking kills prostitution”.

13 Likes

One of these years they might even make a net profit too!

8 Likes
2 Likes

[quote=“mysterr, post:4, topic:92116”]
Ticket prices hit new highs […] analysts believe that attendance will be essentially flat[/quote]

Might need to recheck my economics textbooks, what happens when prices increase and demand remains steady, other than massive profits for the suppliers? Looking through the textbook, but I can’t find anywhere the place where it says that pirates get richer when the price of tickets that they didn’t buy goes up.

2 Likes
1 Like

Increased gross revenues do not necessarily equate to increased net profits. For example, when CGS or other expenses increase over the same period. You may wish to actually dust off those econ textbooks after all.

I thought it was whistling that did that…

3 Likes

(meant to reply to @Khordas)

True, especially if you use Hollywood Accounting. Then you can choose to always lose money, regardless of the gross revenue, to avoid paying out on net contracts.

6 Likes

You’re looking at this all wrong. If pirates weren’t stealing the loots, then the industry would be able to afford to pay family wage to more than just the executives and lawyers.

1 Like

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Now, watch me get sued for saying that.

When you over-charge for by-the-numbers dreck, sure you’ll make a profit…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.