2017 already stinks for people of San Francisco

[quote]Also poultry processing plants. Gah.
[/quote]

Oooh, yah. When I was bused across town to school as a kid, we’d pass near the rendering plant northeast of downtown Wichita every weekday morning. What a godawful stench.

@Donald_Petersen Nope, nope, nope. I think skunk is one of my least favorite smells.

The night this started I was in a SoMa bar around 1:00. The poor guy who walked in just as the smell hit got semi-surreptitiously blamed for it.

He did look the part though. Nobody associates “white guy with dreadlocks” with “fresh clean smell.”

2 Likes

Well, to be clear, I don’t love it at full strength. But if, say, some luckless skunk got squished about a quarter mile down the road, the resulting odor reminds me of the semirural environs of my youth. I don’t mind that smell at all, if I’m not standing right next to whomever got sprayed.

3 Likes

PG&E does not have a good success record so I’m not sure I’d trust them in this one too. “During the days prior to the explosion, some residents reported smelling natural gas in the area.” Which is a rotten egg kind of smell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion

1 Like

The shit they add to natural gas (mercaptan) doesn’t smell like sulfur or eggs at all. It would be counterproductive to make a gas leak smell like some other familiar thing. “Is that a gas leak?” “No, I think that’s just the rotten eggs in the busted walk-in.”

2 Likes

Isn’t this how the movie “Volcano” started?

2 Likes

Came to make a joke about a certain someone’s constipation loosening up and I… I find myself oddly agreeing with this:

I have to go revaluate my day.

4 Likes

Is this where I make a joke about it smelling better than the Hippies? Or are hippies even still a thing in San Francisco?

RE: Sulfur, I do like it’s smell in freshly spent shotgun shells.

2 Likes

Cedar Rapids has a Quaker Oats oatmeal and assorted breakfast cereal plant and that smells awful, kind of like if the smell of fried chicken turned into something really horrifying. There’s no realistic way to avoid going near the place if you’re driving through Cedar Rapids, either. My mother was exposed to the smell while she was pregnant and the experience still haunts her decades later.

1 Like

and here I thought this was going to be a story about the winds blowing the stink from the meth labs of san jose.

Buffalo smells like Cheerios.

That’s strange. The paper mill smell is hydrogen sulfide (on steroids, granted).

Not sure if it’s sulfur, but the odor from the very instant a match is struck.

2 Likes

Satan’s favorite City for 2017!
SF for the win!
BTW I am making “a raw chicken egg within its membrane, the shell removed by soaking in vinegar” as shown in this article.

Ha! I live in the Tenderloin, so this is an upgrade for me!

not without a late-model VW or Audi in the mix!

2 Likes

Heck, just over the mountains from SF in the San Joaquin valley, there are towns that pump up ground water that is pretty sulfur stinky. I lived in one, and you just get used to it after a while.

1 Like

That’s hilarious - that place outside of Cedar Rapids was exactly what I was remembering. We lived in Iowa City in the early '90s and made it up to Cedar Rapids once in awhile.

Not for about 20 or 30 years. Berkeley, maybe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.