2017 Hugo winners: excellent writing and editing by brilliant women

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/12/saddest-puppies.html

6 Likes

Great works, the two long ones, especially the Palmer. I hope her next one won’t be quite as confusing as the second.

3 Likes

Did the broflake writers have a bad day at the Hugo awards? I am sure they will let us know about it soon cause they can’t do something useful like go back to the rock they were living under.

3 Likes

They’re apparently already at it, complaining about the lack of diversity, ironically. (As if the Hugos didn’t have many years of exclusively white male writers being recognized…)

4 Likes

Oh THANK YOU. Everyone kept talking about how brilliant Too Like The Lightning was and I am sitting here like … there were 300+ pages of rambling about politics. And then a weird brothel. What.

Well they can’t complain about Lois McMaster Bujold getting another one since they slated her last year. Against her express wishes, but still.

I read Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and thought it was just okay, should I give Fifth Season a try?

1 Like

Disappointed that Chuck Tingle received no noms this year, but we can’t have everything.

5 Likes

Why not?

You may have misunderstood, or maybe it’s me.
I loved “…Lightning,” it’s “Seven Surrenders” that I had trouble with. I think because she did almost nothing to bring the reader back into what is a continuation of the same story. I hope she does more to bring us along in the next one.

If anybody deserves all the noms.

2 Likes

Oh, I see. I thought it was Lighting that was up for the Hugo, that’s why I thought you meant that one.

1 Like

And yet…

1 Like

She had five Hugos before, as far back as 1990. Nobody can deny that she didn’t deserve this one.

2 Likes

She also gets nominated at least once, nearly every freaking year. The fact that she doesn’t win every single year should be a clue that maybe there’s no some conspiracy to give teh wimmins all the awards.

3 Likes

Well, no, nobody wins every year. But Lois McMaster Bujold is about as close as you can get. Very few people walk away with more than one or two Best Novel awards, this being the Big One. In fact, if you look at the list, it’s Robert A. Heinlein, Lois McMaster Bujold, Isaac Asimov, Connie Willis, and Vernor Vinge (at 5, 4, 3, 3, 3). Given the percentage of female writers in the early days, this is a pretty good showing, all-told, especially, if you ignore retro Hugos (when it becomes 4, 4, 2, 3, 3).

1 Like

I think that she was given it for best new writer, not any specific work.

Great job by Jemisin!!
I just read Fifth Season and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you felt the same - check out her Patreon page:

It’s sobering to realize that winning a Hugo does not set a talented writer for life, and that she still needed a day job to make ends meet. Hopefully now that all changes and she can pursue writing full time!

Writing doesn’t pay anyone enough to live on any more; e-books by the shovelful, content farms, and Hollywood accounting have made sure of that.

If you’re making more with your work than McDonalds pays you’re doing better than the majority of professional writers.

I realize that by asking this question I risk being branded a misogynist, or even Godwin’d, but I feel it must be asked…

Did they win because they were women, or because their work was genuinely and honestly better than the work of the men they were in competition with?

If these winners are just “the best females in the game”, and are not genuinely “the best in the game” then all we’ve done is further reinforce the misogynists idea that women always lose against men in a fair competition and must therefore be given a special handicap if we want them to compete at all. In fact, we may be even supporting this claim with evidence if we truly had to give them an unfair advantage in order for them to win.

Too Like the Lightning was up for Best Novel this year, is what I meant. :slight_smile:

Lois McMaster Bujold has more “best novel” Hugos than anyone but Heinlein. And one of his was “retro” so they’re tied if you don’t count that one. I think that says pretty clearly that women write equally well.

5 Likes

I’m very happy to see Ursula Vernon in a Hugo winners’ list.

2 Likes