NK Jemisin wins a third, record-breaking best-novel Hugo Award

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/the-stone-sky.html

8 Likes

:grinning::star_struck::grinning::hugs::slightly_smiling_face::relaxed::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::yum::blush::laughing::grin::sweat_smile::wink::smile::rofl::joy:

(Me reacting to Jemisin’s—third consecutive!—award, and her speech. (Though damn, woman! Learn to hit the airplane mode when reading a speech off yer cellphone! :wink: )

8 Likes

I hope that speech (and rocket-shaped middle finger) made the Puppies especially Sad and Rabid.

14 Likes

I see Chuck Tingle was snubbed yet again. What a sham of an award!

12 Likes

I see we’ve found the post designed to out all the hardcore SFF fans on bb…

2 Likes

Isn’t it great? :wink:

I’ve had Ms. Jemisin’s novels on my Library wish list for a while now; looks like I need to catch up soon… (as well as Martha Wells’ books. I’ve heard good things about the Murderbot series.)

And yes, @StVincent, while I haven’t read any of his books, I think Chuck Tingle should get some sort of award for being such a fine buckaroo!

[Edited minor typo.]

10 Likes

Odd. My hope is that curiosity gets the better of some of them and they give the first book a shot.

3 Likes

I’ve been an SFF reader for over 40 years, The Broken Earth is some of the best I’ve ever read and, more importantly, something that felt fresh in a genre that is often feels derivative even when entertaining.

Jemisin earned those Hugos with hard work and a willingness to ignore the naysayers and haters.

5 Likes

Broken Earth is fantastic. Murderbot is a fun, lightweight read. Not really comparable.

1 Like

I listenes to all three audio books and I have you admit they definitely felt fresh. However the last book was not as good as the previous one. I enjoyed Cixin Liu three body problem series more.

I listened to all three books and I have to admit they definitely felt fresh. However the last book was not as good as the previous one. I enjoyed Cixin Liu three body problem series more

2 Likes

Congrats to Ms. Jemisin! This is a major achievement. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Judging by the YouTube comments under her speech, your hope has been fulfilled.

2 Likes

I didn’t read @Nightflyer’s comment as comparing them. I read it as mentioning some of the other category winners listed in the OP.

2 Likes

It looks like the puppies noticed the kennel gate was open and decided to walk away.

Total final round vote for Three Body Problem (the 2015 winner) - 4547

Total vote for Stone Sky in the 2018 final round - 1723, which would have won the second round in 2015, but not rounds three through six.

No offense intended against Jemisin’s book which I might find was a great one if I was a fantasy (as opposed to an SF) fan.

1 Like

They won’t.

5 Likes

They’re led by a white supremacist so I’m guessing that won’t happen.

6 Likes

It does look like the vote count is dropping back to it’s pre-2014 levels although that spike in votes, while caused by the puppies, was likely more people signing up to stymie them rather than a lot of puppies themselves.

I think a lot of the SFF community were not happy at the idea of a small block gaming the system and paid their $50 to cast their own votes. Now that the voting system has been modified to be less gameable and the puppies seem to have retreated I would expect the total votes to drop back to it’s pre-2014 levels, which was under 2000.

6 Likes

Yes! Seeing both names listed among the winners reminded me that I meant to read their work.

4 Likes

My experience was the opposite. I felt like each Broken Earth book was better than the last and that the Remembrance of Earth’s Past trilogy got progressively less interesting (and more depressing).

2 Likes