NK Jemisin wins a third, record-breaking best-novel Hugo Award

This was deserved. Broken Earth is sooooo good. I liked the Inheritence trilogy, and another trilogy at that level would have been impressive for basically any author, but she got even better with Broken Earth.

1 Like

The third book in any trilogy is always risky for both writer and reader because the writer can never fully meet every reader’s expectations and on some level the open possibility of what could happen in the end is more pleasurable than the finite and determined resolution that any narrative reaches.

I think Broken Earth held up better on that front than 3body. I loved the first book of 3body, felt the solution in the second book was too obvious and was annoyed that people weren’t coming up with it, and I didn’t finish the third book. I threw Death’s End across the room when humanity loses at game theory for what is characterized as weak willed femininity. (trying not to spoiler for those who care) I’ve heard it gets better after that but I’m still too pissed at it to bother going back.

2 Likes

If we’re talking ‘hope’, then ‘hoping’ for their unhappiness rather than (a little) enlightenment says something about our priorities.

In any social struggle, you cannot defeat your opponents, you can only (gradually) have them become part of you.

They called themselves “sad” or “rabid” puppies. I’m hoping this brings them closer to their goals.

You’re welcome to waste your time holding out hope that white supremacist members of fandom like Vox Day will change their tune, though. I prefer to write off people like that and focus on building a majority consensus from people who have the potential to change.

2 Likes

Very different series but all very awesome. I love murderbot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.