2020 Uprising: Enough is Enough

19 Likes
17 Likes

It also highlights what @Wanderfound said about animal rights being prioritized over human rights.

10 Likes
19 Likes

Not sure if this has shown up here or not:

13 Likes

The targeted vagueness of Trump’s tweets have international consequences.

8 Likes
16 Likes
11 Likes

What was the message? It’s gone now.

5 Likes

That black square is the message, along with the Keller quote.

11 Likes

agreed, that was quite sloppy of me

… and in that broader context, it is improved by the good people quitting how?

Again: how is that achieved by calling those with a conscience to quit?

Again: because it is impossible to make a difference within the force. You either become a bad cop, a dead cop or an ex-cop.

16 Likes

Pretty much this, even when you have folks like Frank Serpico busting corrupt cops, it often leads to them getting pushed out and/or a target (usually both) for harassment and threats.

9 Likes

Yeah I remember that from being a kid. In Northern Ireland the army used to do it at you at funerals as part of their ongoing occupation harassment of civilians. Not when actual shit was going down because helicopters are vulnerable close to the ground as the American occupation discovered in Vietnam (and the Soviets in Afghanistan).

Give people weapons and you know what they are going to do.

6 Likes

I was rotor washed not long after 911 while kayaking on the Potomac. It’s scary. Apart from almost being swamped it’s loud as hell. In my case the helicopter was a black hawk.

I was paddling past a temporary radar installation the military had set up.

12 Likes

“Because” is not an answer to “how”. When the people with a conscience have all quit law enforcement, how will the remaining ones, who are least likely to show civil and lawful behaviour on their own accord, be forced to respect civil and human rights? By appealing to them? By another law that is not followed? I totally agree they need to be “denazified”. I would think that means getting the bad people out, starting with the worst, and getting good people in. The latter do exist - e.g. those who have been suing MPD’s Bob Kroll - and shift the power so that those who respect their fellow humans are in the majority. The other route, that you propose, would be to increase tensions, until the question of power is resolved by force, in the streets - in other words, a revolution.that abandons the current system as a whole. That’s far too utopian for me, not because I dislike it out of principle, but because I don’t think it has majority support, and thus is doomed to fail.

You think this isn’t utopian? They select against good cops when they recruit. they select against intelligence, they don’t want cops questioning orders. They select against de-escalation, then reinforce it with propaganda that if they don’t shoot first then the other guy will.

Look at this as part of the problem

How do you plan on fixing this?

11 Likes

“My statements are politically incorrect,” Chuck tells HipHopDX. “It will not behoove anybody for me to say these things. They’re really incendiary and they’re not helpful. It’s not conducive. When you don’t feel good about saying what you really feel you should say, you shouldn’t say anything at all. Older people know that [laughs].

“If you don’t really feel it’s conducive to say certain things, you just stay fucking quiet until you find the right words for it. And right now, there are no words for this shit. I got no voice at this moment, because every single emotion young people have is justified right now. It’s emotion.”

14 Likes

You say “they”, and due to your background, I imagine something like the burgeoisie, or capitalist class. But compared to Europe, isn’t the US law system highly decentralized? Wouldn’t it be more realistic for a popular movement, to take over their local PD, and enact meaningful reforms? Than to aim for a vague revolutionary utopia, where the system collapses into an unclear, and possibly violent outcome?

14 Likes