2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

Irregular Naval Warfare And You (Ukraine and Myanmar Edition)

6 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Sanctions continue to take a bite out of day to day life

7 Likes
8 Likes

Relevant and significant for the future of Europe as well as the world.

This is a difficult subject for many Germans. The significance will not be lost on anyone who grew up during the cold war.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Mostly Fighter Jet Q&A:

4 Likes
7 Likes

Novaya Gazeta Europe:

‘I want them to see that I’m not afraid’

An 18-year-old war critic is facing up to five years in prison for ‘repeatedly discrediting’ the military

4 Likes

Ukraine has launched a series of drone strikes against targets in Russia more than 800 miles from the border, in some of its deepest attacks into Russia’s industrial heartland since the beginning of the war.

The Ukrainian drones targeted one of Russia’s largest oil refineries and a factory that produces Iranian-designed Shahed drones that have been used on the frontlines of the war.

CNN:

Ukraine’s AI-enabled drones are trying to disrupt Russia’s energy industry. So far, it’s working

At least two of the World Central Kitchen volunteers killed by Israel had previously worked on WCK’s operations in Ukraine.

Damian Sobol was from Przemyƛl, which is a railway hub for trains to and from Ukraine. Thousands of refugees from Ukraine travelled through Przemyƛl in the first days of the war.

8 Likes

More on that recent drone strike:

What next a 747?

10 Likes

Well Boeing aircraft tend to fall apart in flight, so perhaps not

11 Likes
6 Likes

Upper limit? Lower limit? Wasn’t it already 18 to 59? This is all very confusing :confused:

3 Likes

As I understand it*, the 18-59 range is the ages where one can join the forces (and the men in that range are unable to leave the country). The mobilisation age is when one can be conscripted.

*I am open to clarification though.

2 Likes

Having just looked it up (though not entirely confident in the accuracy of my Ukrainian with the aid of machine translators), I think it works like this.

In peacetime, every year some number of people from the pool of conscription aged men (18 to 27 years previously, now only up to 25) are conscripted for 12-18 months of compulsory service. Those who have completed this service are then considered part of the reserve until they reach a certain age depending on their rank - up to 60 years for officers.

Under mobilization in wartime, normal conscription does not take place. Reservists may be called up for active service, while other fit military aged men (18-60) may volunteer to join the armed forces and are generally not allowed to leave the country (with some exceptions, e.g. for single fathers). However, only those older than the normal conscription limit (27 previously, 25 now) may be summoned for compulsory service.

So that’s what this new law accomplishes - it extends the possibility of compulsory mobilization for 25- to 27-year-olds who have not previously served.

6 Likes