30 years after 'Gleaming the Cube' asked what life would be like in 30 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/30-years-after-gleaming-the.html

2 Likes

Man, movie trailers used to suck in a totally different way to how they suck now

11 Likes

This one kinda sells a whole different movie than the one you see if you watch the feature.

11 Likes

There was no nuclear war and 7-11 had its mass expansion stopped by Starbucks, Gleaming the Cube 's Brian Kelly must be pretty happy with today.

On the other hand, the rich gaudy weirdo from Spy magazine is now POTUS, so call it a wash?

11 Likes

I remember that movie; it was one of Slater’s better movies.

4 Likes

Onion quote: “gleaming the walmart parking lot”

always makes me laugh.

4 Likes

Gleaming the cube off the sixth car…

4 Likes

Ewww…sick burn! But, I suppose you’re right.

2 Likes

Man, I’m so wallowing in genX angst right now. Now I want to do crime like going and get sushi and not pay for it.

6 Likes

Even worse, pay for it, then sit in front of the sushi chef and let each roll sit in a bath of soy sauce for 2 minutes. Watch the world burn in his or her eyes.

7 Likes

I bet he never foresaw himself hanging out with Freddy Mercury.

7 Likes

An “HD” trailer for Gleaming the Cube? I guess the HD allows you to see with great clarity how crappy the transfer is?

What exactly would so bad about an 7/11 on every corner? They’d be more useful than the infinite Starbucks we have, at least. And, controversial take, I know, but I do think even if you don’t like Slurpees, they are better than nuclear war.

2 Likes

7-11’s in Japan are rather fun

6 Likes

7-11 May not be everywhere but I’m seeing a lot more in recent years. A lot have been opening in New York City and brooklyn specifically where they hadn’t been before. I was kinda worried they were (and probably are really) trying to take over the bodega market. It’s weird to see them selling mediocre pizza. Then again little Caesar’s and dominos seem to be doing well in New York for reasons beyond my comprehension.

2 Likes

I appreciate their no-fee ATMs. Citibanks are not the easiest to find in certain parts of NYC

1 Like

grosse_pointe_blank-cant-go-home-again%20(1)

4 Likes
1 Like

The future is Thailand?

4 Likes

Well, when it comes to 80’s movie trailers… it’s GIGO. Some bad movies back in the 80’s.

Wanna see a totally different kind of suck trailer? Watch something from the 50’s. Spoiler-fests. Lots of times, the trailers give everything away. ex: “Marty”, one of my favorite classic films. I love it. The trailer? It practically has every important scene. You could wing a decent review from just the trailer.

3 Likes