30 years ago today

The Berlin Wall came down. Emotional pictures here…

I remember how shocking it was, and wonderful that this happened.

18 Likes

I remember seeing footage of stunned people crying in joy and hugging one another; it was one hell of an uplifting moment.

10 Likes

It was. When I talk about the end of the Cold War, I try to impart that to my students, that this was such a seemingly unexpected turn of events, and such a hopefully process. But then, the dissolution of Yugoslavia happened… but for a couple of years, people were absolutely optimistic about the future of humanity as a whole. We still had problems, but we could figure things out peacefully and together as a common humanity.

I think the take away here is that we CAN do that still, if we try. It’s moments in history like this that remind us that we don’t have to give into despair, because we can as a species do the right thing.

11 Likes

… and then this happened:

6 Likes

Is that what started his weird uberfandom in Germany?

4 Likes

I seem to recall his burgeoning popularity was from Knight Rider being an early and wildly popular American export to German TV but I could be wrong.

5 Likes

They had the story on Morning Edition this week:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/08/777155039/david-hasselhoff-is-still-big-in-germany-30-years-after-his-berlin-wall-show

It’s basically that his album, that flopped here, did well in some places in Europe (including Austria and Germany) and he did a show shortly before the wall came down, which sort of cemented his popularity among Germans.

7 Likes

I mean, is that how his singing career took off over there?

I can understand Knight Rider being a popular export;as a kid I loved it right along with most of my peers.

Gracias, Mindysan!

8 Likes

Dat jacket

4 Likes

With that scarf…

3 Likes

Better than those orange shorts from his other show :grimacing:

3 Likes

I thought they were red?

But then again I never watched even one ep of that show, so I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Let’s neither of us bother to check and just enjoy the Hoff in the Bahnhof instead.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Sure. But that moment was hopeful.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.