35-year-old Commodore 64 Easter egg revealed on Christian rock album

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/02/35-year-old-commodore-64-easte.html

9 Likes

90s Glaswegian indie rockers Urusei Yatsura hid a ZX Spectrum program in one of their records that displayed the following.

I think Radiohead hid a slightly more advanced Spectrum program in one of their records too.

14 Likes

Finally the cure for insomnia has been found.

10 Likes

Pretty cool idea for the year1984, but the melody was terrible and I couldn’t dance to it. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

The computer code scream is probably the best track on the album.

10 Likes

Your lips to god’s ears.

10 Likes

That’s freakin’ awesome!!!

7 Likes

Easter egg, which I won’t spoil for you

I, on the other hand, will save you 17 minutes of your life:

egg

You’re welcome.

15 Likes
9 Likes

Reminds me of the last track of the Information Society album Peace & Love, Inc. “300,N,8,1”, hmmm, what’s this one? BRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZ!!! Thankfully I wasn’t on headphones. I dumped the text at one point, but I’m sure I’ve misplaced it. I wonder if I could do it again…

4 Likes

This one frustrated me to no end because by the time I had a modem, I didn’t have one that I could convince to run at 300 baud. Despite many attempts I eventually had to just give up and read it online.

3 Likes

I’ll save you the trouble:

http://www.textfiles.com/humor/is_story.txt

4 Likes

This is truly a wonderful thing. More of this sort of thing please.

4 Likes

I think The Stranglers had a ZX Spectrum text adventure at the end of one of their records

3 Likes

You might want to watch this.

1 Like

Is not Rick Astley. Am disappoint.

3 Likes

Death Techno band

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade!

I don’t know which I like the most; the hidden message or the time and spent extracting it.

1 Like

the interesting thing is the process not the output. Bummer you thought it was 17 minutes wasted.

3 Likes

Chris Sievey (subject of the wonderful documentary ‘Being Frank’) did something similar with his single ‘Camouflage’:
From wikipedia:
“While the A-side was a conventional single, the B-side contained what sounds like random noise. This noise was actually a series of three programmes for the ZX81. Two of these were 16 kilobyte and 1 kilobyte version of “Flying Train” a video game he created, which involved having to land a flying train onto a track while avoiding birds. The third programme was an animated music video for the song “Camouflage”. In order to play the video, the user had to record the B-side onto cassette tape, load the data from the tape into the ZX81, and then run the programme while playing the A-side at the same time, so that the music synchronised with the video.”

Thanks to the wonders of the internet here’s the music video:

4 Likes