They’re still more anxious
And more thankless
Unearned privilege weighs like an anchor
That’s why they copy what we do, tryna’ be what they not
They will grow up though and get better jobs
They will maintain the system they claim that they hated
But they can’t burn it down they got a stake in this matrix

1 Like

For $350, you don’t even get the liner with it?
I can’t imagine what they’d charge for an M-51 fishtail as popularized in Quadrophenia.

6 Likes

No, it’s Punk Rock™!

5 Likes

Alpha Industries used to be a contractor for army uniforms then eventually sold decent reproductions at not bad prices but now they are this. They have a couple boutiques here in Tokyo in fashionable parts of Shibuya.

OTOH years back in the ira-harajuku area there was a “punk rock” store that sold pre-decorated Schott jackets for the equiv of US$1,000. Only $800 if you wanted an off brand non Schott jacket.

But hey, everyone thought the William Gibson $600 Buzz Dickson MA-1 jackets were cool, right?

The lame, it burns

2 Likes

I’m loving imagining the factories producing these. They actually look hand written, no? There are workers laughing as they write his nonsense on the jackets - hey! Not sewing 8,000 pairs of jeans today - not me! I’m playing colours and writing this funny stuff for those funny idiots to prance around in!

But hey, any seed of change is a good seed. So long as they don’t dirty by street while they string up who or whatever it is they’re after.

Mind you, the new generation are probably so muddled they’ll take their anger out on their iPhone 7 (because the newly delivered X is arriving tomorrow)

Wow and I thought I’m probably too late:

Late stage capitalism

3 Likes

In the “can’t believe nobody’s posting this yet” file…

Maybe too on the nose?

2 Likes

Apparently you can’t be a real “anarchist” if you don’t follow the rules.

1 Like

This one is over a grand at Barney’s:

https://www.barneys.com/product/alpha-industries-m-65-hand-painted-cotton-blend-field-jacket-505062969.html

I wonder if Sham69 gets a cut? Probably not. It’s more punk rock that way!

4 Likes

So this is for the rich to play dress up as a normal person so they can goto a rock show?

1 Like

As long as we’re posting relevant music videos…

1 Like

“Lucky me, I’m feeling dizzy and slightly nauseous from these marker fumes, my hand is cramping and I really need to use the bathroom… I need to do another 300 in the next hour to make the day’s quota. Gotta get my head back in the game, can’t afford the week’s pay they’ll dock me if I make a mistake…”

2 Likes

Too often true even in non off the rack anarchy fashion

Wouldn’t that be a suckee?

That’s because anarchy is no rulers, not no rules. “Anarcho”-capitalism is an oxymoron for this reason.

6 Likes

So, who makes the rules? Who enforces the rules? It’s not anarchy if someone is in charge and if there’s an “enforcement” committee of some sort.

Sooner or later someone is left scrubbing toilets and changing diapers and spreading manure on the crops while the “executive committee” makes decisions.

The people. Horizontal organisation, not top down.

Look at Rojava to see it in action.

7 Likes

From the Wikipedia entry:

The governance model of Rojava has an emphasis on local management, with democratically elected committees to make decisions. The polyethnic Movement for a Democratic Society (TEV-DEM), led by the Democratic Union Party (PYD), is the political coalition governing Rojava.

A September 2015 report in the New York Times observed: For a former diplomat like me, I found it confusing: I kept looking for a hierarchy, the singular leader, or signs of a government line, when, in fact, there was none; there were just groups. There was none of that stifling obedience to the party, or the obsequious deference to the “big man” — a form of government all too evident just across the borders, in Turkey to the north, and the Kurdish regional government of Iraq to the south."

However, to your point, posed as a question:

…a 2016 paper from Chatham House stated that power is heavily centralized in the hands of the PYD.

I like the sound of it but if the CH report is accurate, my inner cynic wonders what legal and cultural forces will prevent the PYD from someday taking advantage of that consolidated power.

Edit: The article does not describe their political structure as a form of anarchy but rather ‘libertarian municipalism.’ (Second edit: my mistake, see @the_borderer’s correction below.)

2 Likes